Suggestion

• 1.I joined a small company where first I used to work on one project, after the project completed the company wanted to start new project ,

for that need some tools which suits their requirement which is affordable so I have been sent to training on sap tool. we are asked work on crystal report.

like this within 4 months I did R& d on 4 tools.

mean while I started look for other MSBI jobs..

I don't know the all the tools very well but I know what are their limitation and what are the good points in them,how to use.

I don't have experience on 1 tool for long time.which may become drawback in my career.

In this process I kind of liked the process doing R&d on the different tools and developing POC ,new challenges.

Is their any particular or related kind of job in this nature.please reply.

My total experience is 2.5 years.

• If you can get a consulting job with a company that focuses on BI and has lots of consultants and clients I think that would be ideal. I live in Chicago and there are many well-established companies like what I am describing as well as start-ups that are doing well. There is a huge BI talent shortage which is great for people that want to get into the field. In a consulting environment they can find out where you are strong and weak then find a project for you and bill for your services accordingly. This will give you a chance to find out what you like the most as you move from project to project.

You say, for example, that you are working on Crystal Reports. That product is dying (IMHO) but there is a huge demand to migrate from Crystal to other tools such as SSRS and Cognos. I have done some projects like that in the past - that's a great opportunity to use your existing skills while learning a new and more valuable skillset.

Contract work is good too. If you can find a good recruiter that you are comfortable with they can get you some. The titles you may be looking for could include "analyst" or "developer". It is easier to get a contract position because they can drop you without notice if they don't like you so there's less risk if you don't work out. As long as you work hard and are competent you will complete your contracts successfully and get a wide range of skills as you move between contracts. Contract work typically pays better but with fewer benefits (e.g. healthcare, vacation, etc) so you have to save your money in case one contract ends before you have another one lined up. That's my 2 cents.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Researching which tools to use is, depending on the size of the organization, an architecture role. Usually that's filled by people with a lot more than 2.5 years of experience. You can do fill similar roles in smaller organizations, but, the nature of smaller organizations is that you'll be expected to fill a bunch of other roles too. You'll be the architect, yes, but you'll also be the administrator, the developer, and you might be responsible for sweeping the floor. With only 2.5 years of experience, I'd say that you're still in the "take any IT job that will pay me money" category. You can afford to pick & choose some, but not much. You don't have enough cumulative experience yet. If you do want to continue focusing on Business Intelligence and reporting, I would strongly suggest you track down more up to date tools as was already suggested.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply