Stupid SSIS Question, I Need Help!

• I'm new with SSIS, but have a lot of experience with SQL Server and SSMS. My questions is, well, what do I do to get it to start?

- For this I'm running SQL Server 2014

What do I need to download, install, setup, click, ... whatever to get it going?

I can not seem to find any documentation like:

- Click 'X' to open up the SSIS editor and start a project.

- or -

- Download 'X' from the Microsoft site 'Y'.

- Open (or Upzip) 'X' to File Directory 'Z' -AND/OR-

- Click Setup or File 'A' to install SSIS to File Directory 'B'

- After Install, Click File 'C' to start SSIS editors or projects or whatever.

So, please would you all help and at least tell me what I need to do.

• You need visual Studio in order to develop SSIS packages. If you don't have Visual Studio then the link below will install a "shell version" to allow you to develop packages using the SQL Server data tools.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/mt429383

Previously this was part of the SQL Server install but in 2014 it is a separate install.

• Ok, I have Visual Studio 2013 Installed, working and ready.

What do I need to do next?

• SQLMark2012 (1/5/2016)

Ok, I have Visual Studio 2013 Installed, working and ready.

What do I need to do next?

Go to File > New >

then...

Templates > Business Intelligence > Integration Services Project

If you don't have Business Intelligence templates that means that you need install SSDT. The the link in the previous post in this thread for that.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Ok, I opened Visual Studio 2013

File > New > Templates ...

and yes, no "Business Intelligence" and hence no "Integration Services Project"

following that, per your suggestion I went out and downloaded:

SSDTSetup.exe

Before I dive into running this, what do I need to know/do so I don't find out something like "Oh, you need to have this box checked to successfully install, and you need this unchecked and select this with these conditions in the setup up or your projects won't run"

• SQLMark2012 (1/5/2016)

Ok, I opened Visual Studio 2013

File > New > Templates ...

and yes, no "Business Intelligence" and hence no "Integration Services Project"

following that, per your suggestion I went out and downloaded:

SSDTSetup.exe

Before I dive into running this, what do I need to know/do so I don't find out something like "Oh, you need to have this box checked to successfully install, and you need this unchecked and select this with these conditions in the setup up or your projects won't run"

Nothing to know as long as you have the right version, setup will let you know if you don't. It's pretty straight forward.

A good tutorial to check out once you're up and running is Stairway to Integration Services[/url].

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Maybe you need to look for SQL Server Data Tools that is part of SQL 2014?

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2804/introduction-to-sql-server-data-tools/

• Wait, what? where? how?

SSDT is part of SQL 2014?

Where, how, what did I miss?

• I think I'm as confused as you.

http://blog.nwcadence.com/sql-server-data-tools-clearing-up-the-confusion/

• :pinch:

Ok, let me get this straight.

Since I work in:

- Visual Studio

- SQL Server

AND

Since I have installed both:

-Visual Studio 2013 Professional

-SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition

I DO NOT actually have SQL Server Integration Services installed, but I need to install:

SSDT.exe

EVEN THO ... both of the 2 previous installations claim to have install:

-SQL Server Data Tools

AND that by installing:

SSDT.exe

I'll be able to create the SSIS projects, for my

-SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition

In:

-Visual Studio 2013 Professional

... at this point I feel closer to asking;

"Who's on First?"

- or -

"'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This sql data tools installation is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the website 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-SSIS INSTALLATION!!"

Ok, I feel a little better. So, that's all I need to do, correct?

• LOL.

Microsoft have made it such a long winded process for BI developers to set up a local environment. I have recently bought a new laptop and it took me a whole day to set up and configure a SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS and BIDS/SSDT set up! This with over 15 years experience in the field, so I feel your pain.

Once you have it all set up (and after a good stiff drink) and you are ready to delve into SSIS then I can heartily recommend the Knights 24 hour trainer in SSIS book. I know this is for SQL Server 2012 but it will be fine for 2014 too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knights-Microsoft-Integration-Services-Programmer/dp/1118479580/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452080217&sr=8-2&keywords=knights+24+hour+trainer

It is such an easy book to read and the videos that accompany it will help to get you up to speed with SSIS really quickly.

Good luck

• When you installed SQL Server 2014 you had the option to install SSIS as a component.

If you want to run SSIS packages / projects on your server then you will need to have this installed.

For development you need

Visual Studio with the additional add-in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT).

SSDT contains the project templates for Visual Studio that allow you to develop and deploy SQL Database, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS projects.

I hope that clears up your confusion.

• For SQL Server BI,

1. Setup Disk

2. Install New Instance

3. Select Integration Services

This will also install SQL Server Data Tools (which will contain everything you need to develop SSIS packages)

4. Open SQL Server Data Tools from the start menu under SQL Server 20xx

Now, if you only want to install Development environment on a local pc

GOOGLE: ssdtBI download for your sql server version..

Read: any book on working with Sql Server Integration Services.

can't get simpler than that, (well maybe, but I rather teach you to fish)

oh yeah, and if you want the "Tutorial" on how to start an SSIS project:

MSDN Knowledgebase, search SSIS tutorial

YouTube: Search SSIS Tutorial

refine your search questions and test for better hits on your preferred search engine, to write up here how to actually do it a step at a time is to duplicate the efforts of other individuals that have created these exact tutorials <free> and again, Microsoft has them available.

Good luck and welcome to the power of Microsoft's ETL engine.

• Microsoft have made it such a long winded process for BI developers to set up a local environment. I have recently bought a new laptop and it took me a whole day to set up and configure a SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS and BIDS/SSDT set up! This with over 15 years experience in the field, so I feel your pain.

Yeah, I've been working in SQL Server for awhile as well, all the way back to SQL Server 6.0, and have memories of BCP and the ETL tool that was kinda graphic in SQL Server 7.0 - the fog of years may be messing with me, but I seem to remember something that now seems like a bare bones cut down version of SSIS.

Once you have it all set up (and after a good stiff drink) and you are ready to delve into SSIS then I can heartily recommend the Knights 24 hour trainer in SSIS book. I know this is for SQL Server 2012 but it will be fine for 2014 too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knights-Microsoft-Integration-Services-Programmer/dp/1118479580/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452080217&sr=8-2&keywords=knights+24+hour+trainer

I already have:

Knight's Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Integration Services 24-Hour Trainer

on the desk beside me right now, as well as:

Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Integration Services

and

Training Kit (Exam 70-463) Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (MCSA) (Microsoft Press Training Kit)

because I'm aiming to take and pass the 70-463 exam as part of the exams to get a MCSA.

But I'm looking to learn SSIS, not just pass the 70-463, and besides knowing SSIS is very useful.

• You can download SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx

Good luck.

- Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply