String Search

• Glad you like it. 🙂

• Cool Script.

Would be much cooler, if it would Output the primary key and its value for each occurence...

• Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

• I like the idea of this but the only issue I have is this, If I want to run this against our production warehouse I'm not going to have rights to create a stored procedure.

Maybe later I'll look into modifying it to not be a stored procedure for what I will need.

Thanks again for the base code at least.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Yes, it displays the

object_name, the column_name for each hit. It would be cool if it would also Display

the Name of the Primary key column for the object and its value so a further query could be formed later on.

Something like "select [pkey_name],[column_name] from [object_name] where [pkey_name]=[pkey_value]"

• below86 (10/22/2014)

I like the idea of this but the only issue I have is this, If I want to run this against our production warehouse I'm not going to have rights to create a stored procedure.

Maybe later I'll look into modifying it to not be a stored procedure for what I will need.

Good point. I'm used to having "god" access but I see what you're saying. If you do mod it feel free to post it back here for others if you want. 🙂

• peter.mauss (10/22/2014)

Yes, it displays the

object_name, the column_name for each hit. It would be cool if it would also Display

the Name of the Primary key column for the object and its value so a further query could be formed later on.

Something like "select [pkey_name],[column_name] from [object_name] where [pkey_name]=[pkey_value]"

Gotcha. The problem is that if it's a view or a table which is a heap then there's no PK. I usually just query the table in question against the column were the result was found using the value returned in the "column_data" column.

• Sean Smith-776614 (10/22/2014)

peter.mauss (10/22/2014)

Yes, it displays the

Gotcha. The problem is that if it's a view or a table which is a heap then there's no PK. I usually just query the table in question against the column were the result was found using the value returned in the "column_data" column.

OK, i see. Tanks anyway for thist script..

• Sean Smith-776614 (10/22/2014)

below86 (10/22/2014)

I like the idea of this but the only issue I have is this, If I want to run this against our production warehouse I'm not going to have rights to create a stored procedure.

Good point. I'm used to having "god" access but I see what you're saying. If you do mod it feel free to post it back here for others if you want. 🙂

Yes, we all can't be "god's". 🙂 But if needed I know how I can get the "god" like power.

If I can carve out some time later I'll play with it, and post what I get to work.

• below86 (10/22/2014)

Sean Smith-776614 (10/22/2014)

below86 (10/22/2014)

Yes, we all can't be "god's". 🙂 But if needed I know how I can get the "god" like power.

If I can carve out some time later I'll play with it, and post what I get to work.

Awesome and thanks! 🙂

• peter.mauss (10/22/2014)

Sean Smith-776614 (10/22/2014)

peter.mauss (10/22/2014)

Yes, it displays the

OK, i see. Tanks anyway for thist script..

No problem. Hope you find it handy.

• WRT compiling this procedure on production servers, would it be possible to run this as a temp sproc on that system?

IF OBJECT_ID (N'tempdb..#usp_String_Search', N'P') IS NULL

BEGIN

EXECUTE ('CREATE PROCEDURE #usp_String_Search AS SELECT 1 AS shell')

END

ALTER PROCEDURE #usp_String_Search

exec #usp_String_Search

@Search_String = 'spoke'--AS NVARCHAR (500)

,@Database_Name = 'AdventureWorks2012'--AS NVARCHAR (300)

,@Object_Types = 'U'--AS NVARCHAR (10) = NULL

Not sure what kind of 'god' powers this would need, but this works on my test system (on which I am lord and ruler).

• stevemc (10/22/2014)

WRT compiling this procedure on production servers, would it be possible to run this as a temp sproc on that system?

IF OBJECT_ID (N'tempdb..#usp_String_Search', N'P') IS NULL

BEGIN

EXECUTE ('CREATE PROCEDURE #usp_String_Search AS SELECT 1 AS shell')

END

ALTER PROCEDURE #usp_String_Search

exec #usp_String_Search

@Search_String = 'spoke'--AS NVARCHAR (500)

,@Database_Name = 'AdventureWorks2012'--AS NVARCHAR (300)

,@Object_Types = 'U'--AS NVARCHAR (10) = NULL

Not sure what kind of 'god' powers this would need, but this works on my test system (on which I am lord and ruler).

Actually, I believe that should work. 🙂

• OK this isn't the same SQL, this is something I got back in March, probably from this site, didn't keep who wrote it, sorry about that, I'm trying to do better. 🙂

This SQL you need to be connected to the database you want it to run against.

DECLARE @Search_String nvarchar(100);

SET @Search_String = 'CHIROPRACTOR';

CREATE TABLE #Results

(

Column_Name nvarchar(370),

Column_Value nvarchar(3630)

)

;

SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @Table_Name nvarchar(256);

DECLARE @Column_Name nvarchar(128);

DECLARE @Search_String2 nvarchar(110);

SET @Table_Name = '';

SET @Search_String2 = QUOTENAME('%' + @Search_String + '%','''');

WHILE @Table_Name IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SET @Column_Name = ''

SET @Table_Name = (SELECT MIN(QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME))

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES

WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

AND QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME) > @Table_Name

AND OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(TABLE_SCHEMA) + '.' + QUOTENAME(TABLE_NAME)), 'IsMSShipped') = 0)

WHILE (@Table_Name IS NOT NULL) AND (@Column_Name IS NOT NULL)

BEGIN

SET @Column_Name = (SELECT MIN(QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME))

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = PARSENAME(@Table_Name, 2)

AND TABLE_NAME = PARSENAME(@Table_Name, 1)

AND DATA_TYPE IN ('char', 'varchar', 'nchar', 'nvarchar', 'int', 'decimal')

AND QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME) > @Column_Name )

IF @Column_Name IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

INSERT INTO #Results

EXEC ('SELECT ''' + @Table_Name + '.' + @Column_Name + ''', LEFT(' + @Column_Name + ', 3630) FROM ' + @Table_Name + ' (NOLOCK) ' +

' WHERE ' + @Column_Name + ' LIKE ' + @Search_String2)

END

END

END

SELECT Column_Name, Column_Value

FROM #Results

GROUP BY Column_Name, Column_Value

ORDER BY Column_Name, Column_Value

--DROP TABLE #Results

I'll post the original SQL later. I'm having a hard time getting either version to run very fast.

• Yeah, text searches can run REALLY slow. Did you try using some of the input variables from my proc? It tends to help if you know column length, number of rows in the table(s) you want to search, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply