String Length

• IowaDave (7/11/2012)

Why does datalength of nchar(40) give 80?!?? That really threw me.

Thanks!

Because it is the entire length of the string * 2 bytes. Nchar includes padding so the length is 40 versus 7 with nvarchar which does not include padding.

• Thanks for the great question. I was actually brushing up on len() and datalength() just a couple of days ago so it was still really fresh on my brain. 😀

Everything is awesome!

• Great question Kenneth, refreshed the old memory banks there 😉

• thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good question!

Sujeet Singh

• Thanks Kenneth for a very good question. It was well written and explained. (Only improvement to code would be to alias computed columns.) And, with a short amount of code, several basic principles were highlighted. Well done!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thomas Abraham (7/11/2012)

Thanks Kenneth for a very good question. It was well written and explained. (Only improvement to code would be to alias computed columns.) And, with a short amount of code, several basic principles were highlighted. Well done!

I probably should have added alias' and usually would in code I write for someone else. In this case I wasn't really writing the code to be run so the alias' seemed a bit irrelevant.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was actually explaining the problem with using LEN on a CHAR to one of my coworkers when I decided it would make a good question. I've always liked the trick of adding a ; or some other character to the end of the string before using LEN. That and DATALENGTH is just a cool function.

Kenneth

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• Thank you for the nice, easy, back-to-basics question.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• great question - cheers

• Nice question!

It really bugs me that len() trims whitespace padding on the right.

• An interesting one -- thanks!

• I guess if you are guessing, its hard. Sort of like

2+2=

A) 3

B) 4

C) 5

D) 7

It all depends on whether or not you know what "+" means, which we all know from reading our Wittgenstein is a rather thorny philosphical issue.

• Excellent. I know what + means and still was challenged.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Hugo Kornelis (7/11/2012)

In my opinion, it is LEN() that has the strange behaviour here, because it returns the length of the padded version of the string instead of the length of the string itself. This almost caused me to give the wrong answer - but I recalled just in time the number of times I have already been bitten by this strange behaviour of LEN().

I don't understand that, Hugo. LEN isn't doing anything with padding except ignoring it. It's the concatenate operation that turns the padding from padding to not padding by putting non-space characters beyond the padding.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/25/2012)

Hugo Kornelis (7/11/2012)

In my opinion, it is LEN() that has the strange behaviour here, because it returns the length of the padded version of the string instead of the length of the string itself. This almost caused me to give the wrong answer - but I recalled just in time the number of times I have already been bitten by this strange behaviour of LEN().

I don't understand that, Hugo. LEN isn't doing anything with padding except ignoring it. It's the concatenate operation that turns the padding from padding to not padding by putting non-space characters beyond the padding.

+1 I'm not sure what Hugo meant here either, but I agree with you Tom.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply