Stretch Database SQL SERVER 2016

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stretch Database SQL SERVER 2016

• The options could have been more clear. Anyways I got my point after careful analysis. Good information though. 🙂

______________________________________________________________Every Problem has a Solution; Every Solution has a Problem: 🙂

• It must not be to simple.

Anyway Karthik , you got it, so it was clear enough !

• Thank you for the post, good one.

Earlier I was referring to this doc http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/D/3/FD33C34D-3B65-4DA9-8A9F-0B456656DE3B/SQL_Server_2016_datasheet.pdf and to be honest it didn't helped to understand what it is saying, and below at the end of the page (bottom right) that diagram added little bit of more confusion to me. I selected the answer with a lucky guess and this QToD made be clear what it was all about.:-)

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Easy one, thanks.

Moar 2016 questions 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I agree Raghavendra. The datasheet is limited about the information what it really does.

Another good explanation you can find in the link

http://www.dbi-services.com/index.php/blog/entry/sql-server-2016-ctp2-stretch-database-feature-part-1

Have fun !

• Nice question - made me read some new documentation.

Interesting new feature, but rather a boring one. It's a pity they've only done the really pedestrian option - work on whole tables regardless of size - so that the whole thing is effectively equivalent to using 4-part names to split a database in two. Plenty people will have done that before, and while this may save a bit of design and coding effort it offersabsolutely no new capability.

It's it's not just a boring marketing excercise, which is what option 4 of the answers would have been. The first two answer options - or actually something a good deal better than either - have been available for at least 15 years on any reasonable interpretation of the wording. So that left only option 3, and when I read about it to confirm that it really did fit that option I was quite disappointed by the total absence of any new capability for us users.

I wonder why MS haven't done this as an excercise that splits an individual table into historical and current, with a parameter for each indicating which is the oldest date which should be kept as current and another which indicates which is teh

newest date that may be treated as historical (each of course as an offset before current date); maybe that would

Tom

• Thank you, @ArnoKwetters. That link is great. 🙂

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Good question. Luckily, I saw a presentation on some of the new 2016 features at a PASS meeting recently.

I thought he answers were clear. They certainly weren't like yesterday's answers.

• Thank you! Nice Question.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• I stumbled, but I did get a chance to do some reading up on it.

• karthik babu (7/1/2015)

The options could have been more clear. Anyways I got my point after careful analysis. Good information though. 🙂

+1

• It says : "Stretch Database lets you archive your historical data transparently and securely. In SQL Server 2016 Community Technology Preview 2 (CTP2), Stretch Database stores your historical data in the Microsoft Azure cloud. After you enable Stretch Database, it silently migrates your historical data to an Azure SQL Database."

It has mentioned about migration, so how the point which is mentioned as "extend to addition" fit, I don't know.

Thanks.

• karthik babu (7/1/2015)

The options could have been more clear. Anyways I got my point after careful analysis. Good information though. 🙂

Yeah, the grammar makes the answers very difficult to understand. Singular when plural, "then" instead of "than," etc. If I were handed a specification like that, I'd hand it right back.

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply