Storing Unit Of Measures

• Hello,

What is a good design to store unit of measures ?

We have a measure dimension with all the measures and we are building a scorecard fact table that leverages these measures and build performance metrics.

I could think of three options with third one as a best pick:

Option 1: Build a UOM dimension and snowflake it to Measure dimension

Option 2: Build a stand alone UOM dimension and use that in the scorecard fact table

Option 3: Include UOM column in the fact table so that if a measure need to be calculated in 2 different ways mis-calculations can be limited unlike in above options.

If there is any other better approach please advise. Much appreciated. Thanks!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• KevSSC wrote:

Hello, What is a good design to store unit of measures ? We have a measure dimension with all the measures and we are building a scorecard fact table that leverages these measures and build performance metrics. I could think of three options with third one as a best pick: Option 1: Build a UOM dimension and snowflake it to Measure dimension Option 2: Build a stand alone UOM dimension and use that in the scorecard fact table Option 3: Include UOM column in the fact table so that if a measure need to be calculated in 2 different ways mis-calculations can be limited unlike in above options. If there is any other better approach please advise. Much appreciated. Thanks!

One will need more details as this is highly depending on the technologies used, i.e. Tabular, MDX, [name the others] etc.

😎

The problem is relatively simple, use the most granular common denominator and work from there.

• Hello Eirikur,

Thanks for the reply.

Sure, we will be using Tabular to consume the above data model.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply