Stored Procedure with a parameter

• I have the following code I created in server 2005 as a VIEW

select pledge.giftkey,pledge.gifteffdat,pledge.giftamount

from gift.pledge left outer join chart_of_accounts

on chart_code=pledg.giftrest

I am trying to create a stored procedure that allows me to enter in a date range (ie between 1/1/09 and 1/30/09). The paramter would reference the pledge.gifteffdat.

I assume i would do something like

Create Procedure usp_AddPledgeDate

@pledge.gifteffdat datetime

I want to show pledge.giftkey,pledge.gifteffdat,pledge.giftamount

from gift.pledge based on entering a date range which is generated by the parameter. How would I do this. I need the code

• Something like this should work...

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[GIFTByDate] (@STARTDate datetime, @ENDDate datetime) AS

begin

select pledge.giftkey,pledge.gifteffdat,pledge.giftamount

from gift.pledge left outer join chart_of_accounts on chart_code=pledg.giftrest

where pledge.gifteffdat between @STARTDate and @ENDDate

end

For help on getting help, follow the link below:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Okay, there are a couple of things you should know. First, when checking dates and date ranges we need to strip the time portion from the input parameters to make sure we are searching for all possible times for a date. Next, we don't use between because it is inclusive and if we strip the time from the date - we would miss the end date.

For example:

WHERE mydate BETWEEN '20090101' AND '20090101'

The above will only match where the column 'mydate' was exactly '20090101 00:00:00.000'. If 'mydate' was '20090101 00:00:00.333' - it would not be included because the date criteria that we used for the end date is implicitly converted to '20090101 00:00:00.000'.

So, we use less than/greater than and add one date to our end date (stripped of the time). So, we end up with:

WHERE mydate >= '20090101' -- implicitly converted to '20090101 00:00:00.000'

AND mydate = @STARTDate

AND p.gifteffdat < DATEADD(day, 1, @ENDDate) -- add one day to include our passed in end date

GO

[/code]

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.GIFTByDate

@STARTDate datetime

,@ENDDate datetime

AS

SET @StartDate = DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, @StartDate), 0); -- get start date with 00:00:00.000 time

SET @EndDate = DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, @EndDate), 0); -- get end date with 00:00:00.000 time

SELECT p.giftkey

,p.gifteffdat

,p.giftamount

FROM dbo.pledge

LEFT JOIN chart_of_accounts on chart_code = p.giftrest

WHERE p.gifteffdat >= @STARTDate

AND p.gifteffdat < DATEADD(day, 1, @ENDDate) -- add one day to include our passed in end date

GO

• Sorry about previous post. Clicked wrong button.

Jeffrey, you are correct with regard to timestamp issue. I hurried past that without thinking about the single day selection.

I bow to your greatness...:hehe:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply