Stored procedure runs significantly slower on differnt (identically-speced) server

• On a SQL 2005 platform, we have a rather peculiar problem:

We have 2 servers with identical specs. The environment is intended to be identical. The the test db on both servers has exactly the same data structures and actual data.

However a stored procedure on one runs consistently for 3 and a half minutes, while on the other the same procedure always exceeds 30 minutes. The procedure updates a table with approx 1m rows where the data has changed from a reference table. The checksum statement is used to compare the rows.

Can anyone think of why this would happen ? Are there any options that might be set differently that would cause this behavior?

• Are the query plan on both servers identical? When you run both procedures using the same parameters with the recompile option, do they have difference in the execution? Also are both servers having the same activity when you check it? Could it be that one of them has blocking due to other processes and the other one not?

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Hi Adi,

Thanks for the reply.

The stored procedure does not take parameters.

We have carefully restricted all other processing on the machine when testing, and monitored to spot any potential blocking / conflict. However the problem still persists.

The SP is run by a system account.

• You need to look at the execution plans.

• I agree. I'd look at the execution plans. But you should also check the indexes on the two systems for differences in fragmentation. I'd also look at the statistics on the two systems (although statistics differences is likely to show up as different execution plans) to see if they're different.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I am afraid that it gets worse: The execution plans are identical. However, while using profiler I could see that on server 2 (the slow running one) the same piece of sql seems to be re-run (and a query plan logged) many thousands of times.

In addition, I have discovered that server 2 has recently had SP3 installed which server 1 (the faster server) has not.

The query is:

INSERT INTO D_Client ([CIF], [CIF_Check_Digit], [Create_Date_Key], [First_Loan_Date_Key], [First_Loan_Product_Key], [First_Salary_Date_Key], [Home_Branch_Key], [Salary_Branch_Key], [Last_Loan_Branch_Key], [Demographic_Key], [Client_Loan_Status_Key], [Salary_Info_Key], [Employer_Key], [Primary_Deposit_Account], [Client_Deposit_Status_Key], [Client_Type], [Converted_From_Omega], [Cancelled], [Create_Type], [Teller_Type], [Card_Create_Date_Key], [Teller_Key], [ABS_Score], [Internet_Banking_Start_Date_Key])

SELECT CIF, dbo.FN_Get_Check_Digit(CIF), date_key, 32767, 0, 32767, branch_key, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 'Normal', 0, 0, 'Normal', 'Branch', 32767, 0, 0, 32767

FROM S_CUSM inner join D_Date ON S_CUSM.CREATE_DT = D_DATE.Bancs_Julian_Date INNER JOIN D_Branch ON S_CUSM.Home_Branch = D_Branch.Branch_Code

WHERE CIF NOT IN (SELECT CIF FROM D_CLIENT) AND D_Branch.Current_Record = 1

ORDER BY CIF

As you can see it calls a function dbo.FN_Get_Check_Digit which is defined as follows:

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[FN_Get_Check_Digit](@Num varchar(9))

RETURNS varchar(10)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @RetVal varchar(10)

DECLARE @CheckDigit int

DECLARE @Digit int

DECLARE @Length int

DECLARE @Counter int

SET @CheckDigit = 0

SET @Num = LTRIM(RTRIM(@Num))

SET @Length = LEN(@Num)

SET @Counter = 1

WHILE @Counter <= @Length

BEGIN

SET @CheckDigit = @CheckDigit + (CONVERT(int, SUBSTRING(@Num, @Counter,1)) * CONVERT(int, LEFT(((@Length + 2) - @Counter), 1)))

SET @Counter = @Counter + 1

END

SET @CheckDigit = @CheckDigit % 11

SET @CheckDigit = 11 - @CheckDigit

IF (@CheckDigit = 11) SET @CheckDigit = 0

SET @RetVal = @Num + CONVERT(CHAR(1), @CheckDigit)

RETURN @Num + CONVERT(CHAR(1), @CHECKDIGIT)

END

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply