Stored proc selecting from tables in two schema

• Hi All,

I have a very small problem. I have two schema in my database. The default "dbo" and user created "abc". I have a stored proc that is created in "abc" schema that selects from tables in the schema "dbo" and "abc". I want to give execute permission to this stored proc to a role. How can I do this without having to use "Execute AS Owner" or giving direct select permission to the role?

Anyone can help me in this?

-Roy

• Do you use fully qualified objects names in your procedure for all objects from all schemas including dbo?

If yes, "grant exec on [procname] to [rolename]" should work...

If no, then change your proc to use fully qualified objects names, otherwise you are going to face some issues...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• It is fully qualified...

-Roy

• grant exec on [schema].[procname] to [rolename]

go

• That does not work. It gives permission error on the table in the other schema. It works with "Execute as Owner"

-Roy

• Is there an active Deny in place on that role accessing the second table or the schema it's in? That works differently than merely missing a permission.

Another alternative, create a user that has the needed access to both objects/schemas, and execute as that user instead of as owner. Can get tricky to get it right, but it does work.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I can make it work by giving the Select permission to the role on the other Schema. I dont want to give direct select permission on tables.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (11/27/2012)

That does not work. It gives permission error on the table in the other schema. It works with "Execute as Owner"

What user do you use to execute GRANT EXEC? It's better to be dbo...

• I am going to try

GRANT SELECT ON SCHEMA :: abc to abcRole WITH GRANT OPTION

and see if that will work.

-Roy

• That worked. I needed to give Permission to the schema. Thats it. Thanks everyone for helping.

-Roy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply