Stored Proc execution time diff between environments

• Hi,

I have a stored proc that is executing in 2 sec on production and test database. It is taking more than a min on dev environment.

I have verified sqlserver version is same on both of the server.Prod is running on 2012Sp1 however dev don't have sp1. I am downloading it.

Both are 64bit, has same collation and compatibility level.I have confirmed that sp on both servers has same execution plan. I have reset and import stats from prod too.

Dev server don't seem under resource. What should I explore more to make it as fast as prod ?

Thanks

• If the execution plans are the same then it's likely down to resources. Take a look at the waits statistics before and after the run in order to determine the waits that the query experiences in the development environment. That will give you a very strong indication of where the likely bottleneck is.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Also check that statistics and index maintenance have been performed.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

If the execution plans are the same then it's likely down to resources. Take a look at the waits statistics before and after the run in order to determine the waits that the query experiences in the development environment. That will give you a very strong indication of where the likely bottleneck is.

can you guide me how to do that ?

• thbaig (7/3/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

If the execution plans are the same then it's likely down to resources. Take a look at the waits statistics before and after the run in order to determine the waits that the query experiences in the development environment. That will give you a very strong indication of where the likely bottleneck is.

can you guide me how to do that ?

Just answered this on another question.

Two options. The easy option, query sys.dm_os_wait_stats before and after you run the offending query. Compare the differences. While easy, it won't be accurate. To get a very accurate measure of exactly what's going on, use extended events. Paul Randal has a blog post on this topic.[/url]

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• wait type found is "CXPACKET" . This is because of an insert statement to temp table "insert into #tmp as select ........"

What other parameter should I consider and move further ?

• CXPACKET waits are just an indication of parallel execution. They're neither good nor bad. What other waits are being experienced? Are both production and dev set to the same number of CPUs and same cost threshold for parallelism?

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• production has 16 cores but dev has 8.

• You may have found the difference then. If this query needs to execute in parallel and production has more CPUs than Dev, that would explain why it's slower in Dev.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply