store proc

• How can i create a SP for a non sysadmin which will allow the user to create a database and his login id will be assgiend to db_writer role.

This proc should also check for database name if already exists in 4 servers (Rev1,Dev1,Rev2,Prod1).

I also doubt if need to create this proc in a specofic database or it has to be in MAster to make it work.

• CREATE PROCEDURE CreateNewClientDatabase

@DBName varchar (128),

@Username varchar (30)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

AS

if not exists(select dbid from master.sysdatabases where name = @DBName)

CREATE DATABASE @DBName

print 'Database @DBName Created'

else

raiserror("Database already exists.",3)

CREATE USER [@Username] FOR LOGIN [@Username]

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_datareader', N'@Username'

if @@error = 0

return 0

else

return 1

END

• Mike Levan (4/9/2009)

CREATE PROCEDURE CreateNewClientDatabase

@DBName varchar (128),

@Username varchar (30)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

AS

if not exists(select dbid from master.sysdatabases where name = @DBName)

CREATE DATABASE @DBName

print 'Database @DBName Created'

else

raiserror("Database already exists.",3)

CREATE USER [@Username] FOR LOGIN [@Username]

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_datareader', N'@Username'

if @@error = 0

return 0

else

return 1

END

Actually, this won't work. You need to use dynamic sql to do the CREATE DATABASE and the CREATE USER statements. There is a problem with the RAISERROR statement, besides using double quotes, that I am looking into. Also the call to sp_addrolemember is incorrect.

Give me some time and I will see if I can get this rewritten so that you can give it a try, barring of course someone else beating me to the rewrite or providing another solution.

• The only thing I haven't done yet is actually test the procedure, but the following code will actually create the procedure.

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.CreateNewClientDatabase (

@DBName varchar (128),

@Username varchar (30)

)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

AS

BEGIN

declare @SQLCmd varchar(max);

if not exists(select database_id from master.sys.databases where name = @DBName)

begin

set @SQLCmd = 'CREATE DATABASE ' + @DBName + ';';

exec (@SQLCmd);

print 'Database @DBName Created';

set @SQLCmd = 'CREATE USER ' + @Username + ' FOR LOGIN ' + @Username + ';';

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_datawriter', @Username;

return 0

end

else

begin

raiserror('Database already exists.',10,1);

return 1;

end

END

I am going to test it in a bit, but I need to setup a non-privledged user first, and I have other things i need to do at the moment as well.

If you can, please give the code a spin as well and let us know if there are any problems.

• ********* WARNING ***********

A quick aside regarding my code. It needs more work. Currently it is wide open to SQL Injection. This would be a good opportunity for you to read more about it and see if you can modify the code to protect your system from this type of attack.

• don't you have to add a USE DATABASENAME command before you add the user, otherwise it would just re-add the user to the existing connected database?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I think Tara wants to check dbname from 4 different servers and more over she dont need to give create command, she can directly create database as it is being executed by dbo.

Tara

I think thi store proc has to be created in a master db instead of specific then only it works.

pardon me if i am mistaken.

• Lowell (4/9/2009)

don't you have to add a USE DATABASENAME command before you add the user, otherwise it would just re-add the user to the existing connected database?

Probably. Work got in the way of further testing. Now that I'm getting ready to have lunch, I can see what other changes are needed bsided protecting the proc from SQL Injection.

• thank you guys..

Yes as Mike said, I have to check for db name on all 4 servers.

I have to hook this proc to an app where i have to allow Users to create db and also they have to get permissions to write on that db.

• Mike Levan (4/9/2009)

I think Tara wants to check dbname from 4 different servers and more over she dont need to give create command, she can directly create database as it is being executed by dbo.

Tara

I think thi store proc has to be created in a master db instead of specific then only it works.

pardon me if i am mistaken.

Well, first of all, your code wouldn't work at all. Second, the procedure will most likely need to be run separately on each of the specified servers one at a time.

Now, I need to do some testing. Something I think you should have done as well. At least my code will actually create the proposed stored proc.

• Lynn I aggree with you, may code has errors.

that was the rough idea i gave to Tara.

Lynn

When you said she has to run code on each server instead can she select list of database from all 4 servers and find if th new db name is in there?

something like using union to list all the databases from 4 servers.

select database_id from Rev1.master.sys.databases where name = @DBName

union

select database_id from Rev2.master.sys.databases where name = @DBName

union

select database_id from Prod1.master.sys.databases where name = @DBName

• This may take more work. Even under a privledged account, I get an error with the CREATE DATABASE part of the stored proc.

Don't give up hope yet. If I can't come up with it, I'm sure there is someone out there that may come up with a solution.

Since you mention that this needs to be done from an application, it may be necessary to write something using SMO to accomplish this task on multiple servers.

• Lynn

May be you are missing exec (@SQLCmd); after creating a user.

• Nope. Permission issue.

• here's my version, where i figured i'd find and replace from an existing set of commands i know works fine:

i greated a login named 'bob' with connect priviledges. this created the database, but fails when doing the rest...adding roles and users, then users to roles.

but i get an error stating this:

Msg 916, Level 14, State 1, Line 2

The server principal "sa" is not able to access the database "Special" under the current security context.

ALTER procedure MakeMeADatabase(@dbname varchar(128),@UserName varchar(128),@WithDevPriviledges int = 0)

WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

AS

DECLARE @SQLCmd varchar(max)

BEGIN

IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE name = @dbname)

BEGIN

PRINT 'Database Already Exists,No Need To Create.';

RETURN 1;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT 'Creating Database.';

set @SQLCmd = 'CREATE DATABASE ' + @DBName + ';';

exec (@SQLCmd);

END

SET @SQLCmd='

USE Whatever

--create the Role for my Dev guys

CREATE ROLE [WhateverAdmins]

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_ddladmin] TO [WhateverAdmins]

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datareader] TO [WhateverAdmins]

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datawriter] TO [WhateverAdmins]

--create role for my normal users

CREATE ROLE [WhateverUsers]

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datareader] TO [WhateverUsers]

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datawriter] TO [WhateverUsers]

CREATE USER [MyDBUser] FOR LOGIN [[MyDBUser]]

EXEC sp_addrolemember N''[WhateverUsers]'', N''MyDBUser''';

If @WithDevPriviledges <> 0

BEGIN

SET @SQLCmd= @SQLCmd + '

EXEC sp_addrolemember N''[WhateverAdmins]'', N''MyDBUser''';

END

SET @SQLCmd=Replace(@SQLCmd,'Whatever',@DBName);

SET @SQLCmd=Replace(@SQLCmd,'MyDBUser',@UserName);

PRINT @SQLCmd;

EXEC (@SQLCmd); --two roles should be in place now

END

GO

MakeMeADatabase 'Special','bob'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply