Storage SAN

• Hi every one...

My client is changing thier storage from sun to HP (from DAS to SAN).

I am new to SQL Server 2005. What should i do? How to move the Data to the neu

storage?

Would you please help me out?

Thankinh you,

Regards,

Naga Raju A

[font="Arial"]Naga Raju Appani[/font]

• Why is your client changing from DAS to SAN?

Is it for clustering?

• yes, exactly.

I am an Oracle DBA.

But my client required it.

They wanted me to do it.

I don've much idea of it.

Please, would u send me the procedure of doing it.

• Assuming you have downtime, you need to have both sets of storage visible to the server. This would allow you to "detach" and attach" the databases.

- You would "detach" the databases

- You would copy the .mdf, .ndf., .ldf files to the new location.

- Attach the databases.

For moving system databases, a few extra steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071

If the server only sees one set of storage, you might see if there is another server that can help you transfer the data. Pathing is the important part in Windows/SQL Server. Paths to data files are stored inside SQL Server.

• TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

------------------------------

Attach database failed for Server 'Nagraj-PC\SQL2005'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

Unable to open the physical file "E:\MSSQL.3\MSSQL\Data\der.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(error not found)". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5120)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3042&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5120&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Hi

I am getting the above error..while detatching it...

would u plz send see it?

• Hello,

This error may be because in the database can have another files that not are in the DB, to see this, you can go to the Properties of the Database and in the files you review that all files are in the directory that are necessary.

My recomendation is that you make a Backup of the Database , to make this backup, select the DB, right click / Select All Task /Backup.. and select backup full

Regards,

Carlos Campos

• My recommendation is that you hire a SQL Server DBA to do SQL Server DBA work. It just boggles the mind that a company is having an unqualified person perform such critical activities!! I am sorry for you that you have been put in such a position.

Also, I noticed that the error stated SQL Server Express. Surely you aren't using Express for production work that requires a SAN? :w00t:

Oh, as for the detach error, did you verify that the full path to the file mentioned is still visible? Did they already make the switch and yank the old disk space out from under the system? If so, you have no recourse but to restore the databases from a backup. Sure hope you have them!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• From the error, it seems to me that you are using SQL Express. Is Clustering available for the Express Edition of SQL 2005?

Backup and restore may be the easiest and fastest way of transferring the database to the new server.

There are numerous documentation available on the web, especially on MSDN.

• nagnrik (6/10/2008)

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

Attach database failed for Server 'Nagraj-PC\SQL2005'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

Unable to open the physical file "E:\MSSQL.3\MSSQL\Data\der.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(error not found)". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5120)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3042&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5120&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Hi

I am getting the above error..while detatching it...

would u plz send see it?

are you using SQL server management studio express to connect to your SQL2005 instance, or is it actually a SQL2005 Express instance?

the above error indicates that the attach for database xyz failed, so were you detaching or attaching the database?

How big is the database?

how many files\filegroups does the database consist of?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• man....b4 doint it on production.....

i am doing it on my lap top.....

my production has SQL Server 2005 enterprise edition

kkkk

• ok what logical drives does windows have available on your laptop?

(i.e. do you have a drive E on the laptop?)

How are you attaching the database via SSMS gui or T-SQL query

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Since you will likely be faced with different drive configurations when moving to cluster/SAN, you should probably use the BACKUP and RESTORE commands. Explicitly script them out. They will allow you to move database files to specific locations on restore. See BOL for syntax/usage.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Hi ..

Thanking for ur post.....

The link below has given me the solution....in the test server..in my lap top....

i waz able to move the files from one location to another location

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345483.aspx

I can do the same for existing SAN to the neu SAN .......

• Hi ..

Thanking for ur post.....

The link below has given me the solution....in the test server..in my lap top....

i waz able to move the files from one location to another location

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345483.aspx

I can do the same for existing SAN to the neu SAN ........

am i rite?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply