Stop, Smell, Smile

• It's kind of funny. My best friend (she was best man at my wedding, my wife and I just celebrated our third anniversary Wednesday) frequently told me that no one, on their death bed, said "I should have worked harder". I quite a job that, afterwards, my friends said "you haven't been happy there for a long time", I just didn't realize it until after I left. SO WHY THE HECK DIDN'T THEY TELL ME THAT BEFORE I QUIT?

The sad thing is that my best friend is now so mired in debt that she's working 2-3 different jobs to stay afloat, but there are complicating factors that add to that. She desperately needs to play more, but she can't afford to. I find that tragically sad.

As for me, I can't say that I'm tremendously happy at my job for a variety of reasons, but at least I recognize it and recognizing it helps to keep some balance. Having a wife that I love and that loves me helps a lot.

But definitely enjoy your friends and family while you have them, because they won't be there forever. I've lost too many of them over the last few years, you can never appreciate them enough.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• tosscrosby (6/6/2008)

My oldest IS going to college this fall. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. When she was born, I decided that I had to have a balance between work and spending time with my family, and I did as much as possible. Sometimes my boss wasn't happy (he's childless..) but he rarely prevented my time off or criticized my reasons for not working 80 hours a week. When I needed to be there, he knew I would be there. Management needs to understand the importance of balance as burnout can be right around the corner. Cranky people make lousy employees. Whether it's time with family or simply a little alone time, if we don't make the time, what good is all the money we are earning? Stress, heart attacks, whatever? What have we truly gained, material things? Give me a day to myself and my family anytime, it keeps me sane, well most of the time anyway! (teenagers, you've got to love them!). As Steve said "Stop, Smell, Smile" - to that I'd add "and Live".

Very well said. My brother can relate to your situation with your boss. His boss doesn't have any children and her philosophy is work is your family. I hope I never have to work for someone like that. Even though I don't have any kids (unless you count pets), I still treasure the time I spend away from work with my wife and other family. In April, my wife and I were able to go to Colorado for my grandmother's 100th birthday. We had a great time, as did she. About a month later, she passed away, so we were glad to see her when we did.

My family is the most important thing to me and I will do anything to keep that my main reason for living (even if it means moving, changing professions, etc.). When I was in the US Air Force, one of their core values was "Service Before Self." Fortunately, everyone I worked for realized the job is important, but if you aren't happy due to working too much or neglecting your personal life, overall the work will suffer.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• If I was always on vacation I would smile a lot too! Seriously though, always remember, as was said above, that very few people have ever said on their deathbed, "You know, I wish I had spent more time at the office." You have to keep things in life in proper perspective at all times. As far as family being everything to your existence, well...that kind of depends. Marty Nemko wrote a great article on this for another perspective on family.

http://martynemko.blogspot.com/2008/09/family-is-overrated.html 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• How appropriate that this editorial is running (almost five years after being written) while Steve is on vacation.

This is a message that has an indefinite shelf-life.

Thanks Steve and I hope you are enjoying a good vacation.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply