Still using 2008 R2 BI

• I am still using SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer edition. Am I now out of date? I don't really use this for a job but just use it at home to practice some BI in the event that this may be required as part of a future job.

I am wondering if most companies have updated to 2012 now and how far the BI suite has changed...

• We are still overwhelmingly on 2008 R2, but we have a few new projects moving to 2012.

• There aren't major changes to the BI suite between 2008 R2 and 2012. The biggest changes are in SSIS with little in SSRS. I'm not sure about SSAS as I don't use it.

I'd upgrade at home just so you are keeping up. 2008 R2 is approaching end of life so it should slowly be going away in corporate environments. The licensing changes MS made with 2012 may keep it alive longer than 2005 was though.

• Jack Corbett (6/25/2014)

There aren't major changes to the BI suite between 2008 R2 and 2012. The biggest changes are in SSIS with little in SSRS. I'm not sure about SSAS as I don't use it.

*cough* Tabular Model *cough* Power View *cough*

😀

Major changes between SQL Server 2008R2 and 2012:

* project deployment model + SSIS catalog

* Tabular Model for SSAS (useful if you have performance problems with for example distinct counts. Recommended for smaller simpler models)

* Power View in SSRS

* columnstore index

* windowing functions (makes my life a lot easier when coding ETL)

(* Power BI in Office 365)

Personally I would get SQL Server 2014 developer edition and just start playing around. Never hurts to learn the new stuff.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Many thanks for all the advice. I might just buy and do a clean install of SQL Server 2014 Developer edition. I guess it works on Windows 7 64 bit as there is a zero chance of me upgrading to Windows 8 or 8.1...

• meridius10 (6/25/2014)

Many thanks for all the advice. I might just buy and do a clean install of SQL Server 2014 Developer edition. I guess it works on Windows 7 64 bit as there is a zero chance of me upgrading to Windows 8 or 8.1...

It works on Windows 7 64-bit but you need SP1.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply