Steps to apply the SP3 in sql server production box

• Hello SQL DBAs

Can anyone please suggest me the clear steps and prerequisites to apply the latest hotfix (SP3) to the production sql servers.

I didn't do so far, just want to be aware so that nothing screws up the server!! 😀

Regards

Sourav

Thanks.

• This is not an exhaustive list:

- Ensure the SP doesn't introduce fixes or features that will break the apps using your database.

- Create a backout/rollback plan in case you break it.

- Make a full backup.

- Test the backup.

- Run the SP installation.

- Run the test cases to ensure nothing broke.

• To add to Randolph's backup plan, dont forget to backup your resource database as well besides other system/user databases.

Pradeep Singh

• Apply the service pack firstly to your dev, test and staging servers. If there is no issue, apply it to the production server.

Applying SP3 needs server reboot. So inform the stake holders in advance about the planned down time.

• Thanks for all your response.

Can you please suggest me further and let me know if the server having 2 "Clustered Nodes",whether the steps will be same?

Shall I first start with the inactive node. After that Failover is required to ensure that the cluster services are runnung fine, no issue with the quorum and other drives.

Can you please elaborate more?

Regards

Sourav

Thanks.

• http://www.db-staff.com/index.php/microsoft-sql-server/87-upgrade-sql-2005-cluster-to-sp3

Imp Points:

1. It is necessary to update each node of the cluster to get a SQL Cluster fully updated with all the tools and components to the latest Service Pack.

2. To avoid future errors during update process the user account under which SQL Server is running needs to be added to sysadmin server role.

3. After update of the active node you needs to update all inactive nodes. (Tools and non-clustered services i.e. SSRS - sql server reporting services need to be updated on the actual node)

HTH!

MJ

• Hi Sourav,

Sometimes the service pack will not be applied to all the nodes. After applying check whether all the nodes are patched up with sp3 or not.

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply