Steps to alleviate high sqlservr memory uage

• I have read a few articles relating to why SQL grabs more and more memory. How do I set a max value? Also, does anyone know of Great Plains Dynamics? When sqlservr grows pretty big some users get kicked out of application without warning. Could this be related?

• To set the memory configuration values for SQL Server right-click on the server in EM, go to Properties and open the Memory tab. You'll see the options there.

• Generally you want it to auto size (unless you're running with AWE enabled). In worst case if you're out of memory some queries will fail, but they shouldnt get disconnected. SQL does want all the memory, my advice it to let it have it and consider buying more too! RAM is a lot faster than disk access, the more it caches the faster things go.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• In order to assess how much memory SQL Server requires you could consider running Performance Monitor with the following counters.

SQL Server: Memory Manager: Total Server Memory

This counter will report the total memory that SQL Server is currently using.

SQL Server: Memory Manager: Target Server Memory

This counter will report the amount of memory that SQL Server would like to have available in order to run optimally.

In the ideal world these two counters should be the same (i.e. SQL Server has available and is using all the memory that it needs). If however the Target is considerably more than the Total for sustained periods of time then consider getting more memory.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply