StDev for a set of column in each row

• I have a report that is in production. Now, I have been asked to add a column to show Standard Deviation of values in 6 columns. Is it doable. Can I add a calculated field within the dataset to represent that value and then use it in a column?

Thanks.

kr

• the SQL server function STDEV takes a column name;

it sounds like you want the STDEV of 6 columns in a specific row, or a

all values ?

if it's the 6 columns per row, you need an unpivot query to get your columns to rows.

if it's all values, it's a union.(select id,colA UNION ALL select id,colM etc)

then you have to join them as a subquery to your original query to get the new column.

if you can provide sample data and DDL of the tables involved, we could suggest a solution.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Here is part of the report:

Jul 11Aug 11Sep 11Oct 11Nov 11Dec 11TotalStd Dev

11-62137404414719.50

-4-10000-51.60

00-5000-52.04

The report doesn't have Std Dev column. I exported report to Excel and added Std Dev column. The formula in Excel is =STDEV.S(E6:J6) Where [Jul 11] is E6. I hope this explains the problem I am trying to solve.

There are two more cols on the left, Dept and Project which together identify the row.

• conceptually, i understand now; it'd a STDEV of the 6 values, right?

if you can provide a set of commands for some sample data

CREATE TABLE ...

and also

INSERT INTO...

we could show you how toi unpivot your data; as it is now, I'd spend a lot of time converting your excel paste into what I think is the right datatypes, formatting it, etc.

if you can do that, volunteers here can provide you with a tested, working solution, instead of some guesses and vague advice.

SELECT

YOURTABLE.* ,

MyAlias.StandardDeviation

FROM YOURTABLE

LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT STDEV(PIVOTEDCOLUMN) AS StandardDeviation

FROM (SELECT [Code],[AttributeCode],[AttributeValue]

FROM (SELECT

[ID],

[Col1],[Col2],[Col3],[Col4],[Col5],[Col6]

FROM YOURTABLE) p

UNPIVOT

([AttributeValue] FOR [AttributeCode] IN

([Col1],[Col2],[Col3],[Col4],[Col5],[Col6]) )AS unpvt

)unpv

) MyAlias

ON YOURTABLE.ID = MyAlias.ID

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks. I think I know how it should be done but it would require me to go through some trial and error (this pivot/ unpivot command is confusing for me.). However, to save some time (I am being lazy) here is further detail.

The data is being returned by a stored procedure. At the end of the procedure I do a simple select on a table whose schema is like this:

Dept int, Project varchar(25), ProjectDescription varchar(50), Column1 int, Column2 int, Column3 int, Column4 int, Column5 int, Column6 int, Total int.

Column1 through Column6 are the values that I need to calculate StDev on.

I am using these generaic column names becaue, in the report, I need to show the month & year that each column data belogs to. Since this 6 month period is not fixed, I generate report column headings based on the @startdate parameter.

• With your help, I was able to figure out the final query. Here it is for your review.

SELECTv.Dept, v.Project, ProjDesc, Period01, Period02, Period03,

Period04, Period05, Period06, Total , ROUND(m.StdDev, 2) StdDev

FROM#Variance v LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECTProject, Dept, StDev(Diff) StdDev

FROM(SELECTProject, Dept, Col, Diff

FROM(SELECTDept, Project, Period01, Period02, Period03, Period04, Period05, Period06

FROM#Variance

) p

UNPIVOT(Diff FOR Col IN (Period01, Period02, Period03, Period04, Period05, Period06)

) u

) pv

GROUPBY

Project, Dept

) m ON v.Project = m.Project AND v.Dept = m.Dept

ORDERBY

v.Dept, v.Project

Thanks for all the help.

kr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply