Statistics being dropped on all tables

• What would cause table statistics to be dropped, short of a command to do so?

I have two local databases that I test with. When I left last night, sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats showed all sorts of statistics for both databases. I left the computer on all night, but with no software running. I just came in this morning -- one database has statistics, the other does not. I have no clue what could have caused all the statistics in that database to be dropped.

I'm at a loss. What should I be looking at here?

thanks

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is not an empty string
    NULL is the unknown

• Any job which dropped and recreated tables?

• Pradyothana Shastry (3/27/2012)

Any job which dropped and recreated tables?

Nope, nothing like that. Just two databases sitting there unattended, minding their own business.

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is the unknown

• I have more information. I launched our application against the db that lost its stats. I opened SSMS, opened a new query connected to that database, and queried sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats -- there was data. I shut down our application and re-queried -- there was still data. I switched the query to a different database and back -- all of the statistics were gone.

It appears all statistics are being dropped when the last connection is dropped. Does that raise any red flags?

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is the unknown

• Ok, terminology problem here...

Statistics in SQL Server are objects that are stored in the database, you;'ll see them listed in sys.stats. So when you said 'statistics getting dropped', people would think you meant DROP STATISTICS <statistic name>

But you don't mean that? You mean that the index usage stats data is getting cleared?

Is auto-close on for that database?

The data in indx_usage stats and a number of other DMVs is not persisted, it's only kept until the database is shut down by a server restart, the database being closed, taken offline, detached or restored. If autoclose is on, then the database is automatically closed when the last connection closes and re-opened when a new connection is established.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Ok, terminology problem here...

Statistics in SQL Server are objects that are stored in the database, you;'ll see them listed in sys.stats. So when you said 'statistics getting dropped', people would think you meant DROP STATISTICS <statistic name>

But you don't mean that? You mean that the index usage stats data is getting cleared?

That is what I mean. Sorry for my incorrect terminology.

Is auto-close on for that database?

Ah. Turns out it is. I will have to be sure to make sure that is set properly for our customers and in-house personnel.

Thank you!!!

ron

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is the unknown

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply