Static values for a table that currently doesn't have that value.

• I am building a report where the table may or may not have a specific set of values. Right now, if that value doesn't show up in the query it doesn't show up in the table. However even though it may not be there, I'd like to have it in the report just to show that it has all zero's for example.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve

• Do you mean for example your showing sales of products last month. and If no Red bikes were sold its not showing up on the report, but you would like it to and display a value of zero?

If this is your question, then you need to modify your query to pull all products whether they were sold or not.

Or you mean Your query returns Red Bikes, with a NULL in the Quantity field?

If this is your question then in your report do this =iif(IsNothing(Fields!MyQuantity.Value),0,Fields!MyQuantity.Value)

• It actually just won't pull 'Red Bikes' period if none were sold. But the next month it might, but I need to be able to see the zero's or dashes to show there was no activity.

• Right, you need to modify your query to always return the missing values even if there were none sold.

The report doesn't or shouldn't know whats missing, thats up to the query.

• I'm not the best with SQL, (just started not very long ago). How would I SELECT values that don't exist?

• Short form: What you're looking for is to adjust your query with what's called an OUTER JOIN, in this case most likely a LEFT Join.

Basically, your select query should base off the primary product list as its main source, and then LEFT join to the sales tables. If you can provide some DDL and sample data (see the first link in my signature) we can walk you through the code.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• here's an example that kind of shows what we are talking about...you have to select from all possible values, and join that to what was sold.

run this and take a look a tthe three queries at the bottom; the last returns all rows, and you can isnull(QTY,0) to display zero if desired.

CREATE TABLE ALLPRODUCTS(

PRODUCTID INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

DESCRIP VARCHAR(30)

)

INSERT INTO ALLPRODUCTS(DESCRIP)

SELECT 'APPLES' UNION

SELECT 'ORANGES' UNION

SELECT 'BANANAS' UNION

SELECT 'GRAPES' UNION

SELECT 'CHERRIES' UNION

SELECT 'KIWI'

CREATE TABLE sales(

saleid INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

PRODUCTID int,

PRICE MONEY,

QTY INT

)

insert into sales(PRODUCTID,PRICE,QTY) values (1,.50,12)

select * from SALES INNER JOIN ALLPRODUCTS on SALES.PRODUCTID=ALLPRODUCTS.PRODUCTID

select * from SALES LEFT OUTER JOIN ALLPRODUCTS on SALES.PRODUCTID=ALLPRODUCTS.PRODUCTID

select * from ALLPRODUCTS LEFT OUTER JOIN SALES on SALES.PRODUCTID=ALLPRODUCTS.PRODUCTID

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Most excellent Lowell, and thanks to everyone else aswell, that does the trick!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply