Starting a New Job

• Brian J. Parker (2/13/2015)

This all brings up the question of copyright of work. If done on company time then they will claim it, however, it is a generic script then there is the view that no one can claim IPR.

Most companies I have known would frown upon such a practice and sometimes it is not the legal position but reputation that will make or break you.

An academically interesting question, but in the real world, I've never had a problem. Not that I even ask, honestly. I've never worked on a military base or anything, so it's pretty easy to copy a handful of files to a USB stick or cloud drive. (Especially now that I expect to carry a work laptop home for the rest of my career.) I've also always left on very good terms with my employers. So what you say is worth thinking about, but I imagine most of us don't need to worry.

From an ethical (rather than legal) standpoint, I also usually leave copies of these files behind, and I've never gone on to work for a competitor of a previous employer.

And yes, of course, I could just re-collect a lot of stuff from sites like this one, but it's really nice to have familiarity with all my scripts and where they are, besides the little tweaks to suit my preferences. Perhaps I am fussier than most.

It is a sensible approach and one most companies realise that they benefit more from than what they input (if at all). I just thought it was worth highlighting that under some conditions it is deemed inappropriate and that should be considered.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've been an employee, contractor and consultant. Many of the places I've worked have not allowed any personal devices. No USB drives, no access to personal email, no smartphones plugged into the computers (OK, my last two assignments were banks, so they have to be paranoid). I don't bring any code or take any code (not anymore, I used to, but as someone already said, you can pretty much get whatever you want off the Internet).

So, having had a lot of assignments, these are the things I start with:

1. Get a desk and computer. You'd think that was a given, but I assure you it's not.

2. Bring cleaning supplies (preferably on Day 2 so you don't look weird walking in with them on Day 1) and scrub the black grunge off the desk and computer you've been given after you throw away all the trash/food/dirty dishes that were left in the desk. Watch out for used needles while cleaning out that desk (you hope I'm kidding here don't you?)

3. Get a working corporate login. While waiting a week for said login, try to find paper copies of system documentation. Fight boredom and maintain the appearance of work however you can.

4. Request all the other system permissions and corporate software that you found out you don't have once your login is working. Now that you have a login but still don't have enough permissions to do your work, at least you can hang out on SS Central. 🙂 It looks like work.

5. Figure out what you were actually hired to do and whether your assigned supervisor 1) knows that you work for him/her, 2) has a clue about your skill set, and 3) actually has any work for you to do.

6. Start getting invited to meetings. Fail to read people and make a fast enemy of the resident incompetent management darling.

7. Now you're ready to start working...

• Stephanie Giovannini (2/13/2015)

...throw away all the trash/food/dirty dishes that were left in the desk...

How rude of people. On my last day I only every leave stationery in the desk. I try and leave the desk as clean as possible too.

Oh and I so hope you are joking about the needles but suspect that you are not 🙁

Gaz

• Gary Varga (2/13/2015)

Oh and I so hope you are joking about the needles but suspect that you are not 🙁

Not joking, though I appropriated my husband's experience for that one. His desk at a new job had previously belonged to a diabetic who tossed used insulin needles wherever he felt.

Gary Varga (2/13/2015)

Not joking, though I appropriated my husband's experience for that one. His desk at a new job had previously belonged to a diabetic who tossed used insulin needles wherever he felt.

Selfish and uncalled for. No excuses for that one.

Gaz

I've been an employee, contractor and consultant. Many of the places I've worked have not allowed any personal devices. No USB drives, no access to personal email, no smartphones plugged into the computers (OK, my last two assignments were banks, so they have to be paranoid). I don't bring any code or take any code (not anymore, I used to, but as someone already said, you can pretty much get whatever you want off the Internet).

So, having had a lot of assignments, these are the things I start with:

1. Get a desk and computer. You'd think that was a given, but I assure you it's not.

2. Bring cleaning supplies (preferably on Day 2 so you don't look weird walking in with them on Day 1) and scrub the black grunge off the desk and computer you've been given after you throw away all the trash/food/dirty dishes that were left in the desk. Watch out for used needles while cleaning out that desk (you hope I'm kidding here don't you?)

3. Get a working corporate login. While waiting a week for said login, try to find paper copies of system documentation. Fight boredom and maintain the appearance of work however you can.

4. Request all the other system permissions and corporate software that you found out you don't have once your login is working. Now that you have a login but still don't have enough permissions to do your work, at least you can hang out on SS Central. 🙂 It looks like work.

5. Figure out what you were actually hired to do and whether your assigned supervisor 1) knows that you work for him/her, 2) has a clue about your skill set, and 3) actually has any work for you to do.

6. Start getting invited to meetings. Fail to read people and make a fast enemy of the resident incompetent management darling.

7. Now you're ready to start working...

Unfortunately, too much truth in what you wrote.

• I've read (and enjoyed) the original post that focused primarily on what a DBA should do on day one.

Aside from the obvious (stop, listen, take notes, repeat), are there any day one activities recommended for a new Developer? I will be starting a Dev role in March and have gathered a few things on my own. Mainly retrieving definitions of various objects: tables, views, sequence, synonyms and such.

• jackson.fabros (2/19/2015)

I've read (and enjoyed) the original post that focused primarily on what a DBA should do on day one.

Aside from the obvious (stop, listen, take notes, repeat), are there any day one activities recommended for a new Developer? I will be starting a Dev role in March and have gathered a few things on my own. Mainly retrieving definitions of various objects: tables, views, sequence, synonyms and such.

Familiarize yourself with the source control and deployment process, which means coordinating with other developers to understand what release you'll be working on and what standards they have in place for branching code, commenting code, and releasing code to production.

Also, ask if anyone has a data model diagram and data/object dictionary. Where I work we make extensive use of SharePoint, typically with an area for each project where we keep documentation and even links into web version of Team Foundation Server source control.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

I've read (and enjoyed) the original post that focused primarily on what a DBA should do on day one.

Ask fir their coding standards and whether they have any practices they want you to follow i.e. be a proactive team player from day 1.

Gaz

This might not be day one. But try to get an understanding of the applications from the end-user point of view. Find out purpose of each application and primary users/operators.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply