Standard Cluster Node config Limitations

• Hi

I just wanted your 'feel' for the following idea

to setup say a 3 node windows cluster, and install 2 separate instances of sql server, and a disjointed pair setup - 
    ie,
    Instance A, setup on Node01 & Node02.
    Instance B, setup on Node02 & Node03.
    So, no instance has access to more than 2 nodes, run APA (2 nodes fully licensed)

Is this a gray area? - ie, it would be true no sql instance would have access to more than 2 nodes, so would not break agreement?
    Or am I thinking overoptimistically, and such a setup would not be supportable? 

Many thanks in advance of your considered replies.

• realmerl - Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:03 AM

Hi

I just wanted your 'feel' for the following idea

to setup say a 3 node windows cluster, and install 2 separate instances of sql server, and a disjointed pair setup - 
    ie,
    So, no instance has access to more than 2 nodes, run APA (2 nodes fully licensed)

Is this a gray area? - ie, it would be true no sql instance would have access to more than 2 nodes, so would not break agreement?
    Or am I thinking overoptimistically, and such a setup would not be supportable? 

Many thanks in advance of your considered replies.

Firstly, please read my stairway to AlwaysOn starting at the following link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

Presumably these are Failover Cluster Instances you plan to install?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry

Thanks for your response.

Sql standard, using a traditional cluster method - shared direct attached storage (other then local tempdb's) -

Discovered on a dev test that this configuration is possible, but not sure about the legal ramifications -
    Ie, yes, the windows cluster has more than 2 nodes, but no sql instance has access to more than 2 nodes, - from a sql perspective this would almost be 2 separate clusters, with each instance only having 2 nodes, but sharing one of the nodes with each other.

My question being, that although its doable, would it be breaking agreement? (we have sa) and, I also suspect its a non supported configuration?

hence the grey area - the licence does not seem to cover this scenario. (it says sql standard is limited to 2 cluster nodes, it does not say that this scenario above is not permitted, as its still a 2 node cluster from a sql standpoint, so may be fine? or not? who can say? )
    The benefit would be that you could make a 3 node cluster, and run APA (fully licence 2 of the nodes), and this would save you from having 2 separate physical 2 node clusters.

• realmerl - Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:03 AM

Given the above, Node02 would become a standby node and be licensed accordingly.
    As always, check this with your MS licensing contact

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply