Standalone install with database mirroring and virtual IP

• Hello all,

I have a standalone install and need to set  up a database mirror to another node although the caveat is that the application cannot change the instance connection IP ?

What are my options

Thanks

• You can set up a load balancer to handle the networking part. SQL Server doesn't handle IP redirection. If the application is using IP to connect, that's a fundamental problem. A single point of failure. These days, there's no reason to not be using an FQDN for the connection from a client, not an IP.

• Well if it's only for DR purposes you can configure Database Mirroring for High-Availability but if you cannot change the application IP then you can't change the application port either most likely so you would have to change the default port first, then assign that port to the Mirroring Endpoint, High-Availability wouldn't be included here.

Even assigning a dedicated DNS Entry like sqlmirror.corp.net would not help as you cannot assign the same SPN to two different Service Accounts.

In short: a Virtual IP and Database Mirroring does not work, use either a WSFC or Always On Avaliablility Group.

You could as Steve suggested use a NLB but it would have to be able to detect states and not do a simple round robin.

• You can, however, move the FQDN to a new IP. This doesn't necessarily mean a linkage to the SPN. I can have a CNAME or ALIAS for  connectivity and a separate entry for the machine in AD

• thank you all for the tips

Will see with the other options listed above

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply