Stairway to Database Containers Level 3: Building Custom Container Images by Hand

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to Database Containers Level 3: Building Custom Container Images by Hand

• Inspired to see you never stop learning and teaching new technology, Steve.

When I first used SQL Server on Linux, I noticed SSMS on my machine didn't render the Linux directories properly in the Database Properties node. It appears this has been corrected?

Br. Kenneth Igiri
    https://kennethigiri.com
    All nations come to my light, all kings to the brightness of my rising

• This stairway is excellent. What would be an interesting extension to the series is the inclusion of SSIS and SSRS configuration for local machines.  It is an alternative way without using Azure.  This helps small to medium business not willing to go to the cloud due to cost containment and keep their business running more efficiently on premise.

Thanks Steve.

• The early SSMS work with Linux was incomplete. I think most things ought to work with 17.5/18.x

• Peter Heller wrote:

This stairway is excellent. What would be an interesting extension to the series is the inclusion of SSIS and SSRS configuration for local machines.  It is an alternative way without using Azure.  This helps small to medium business not willing to go to the cloud due to cost containment and keep their business running more efficiently on premise. Thanks Steve.

Not quite sure what you're asking for here. Do you mean SSIS in a container? How does that create cost containment?

• Hey Steve, great write up. In reading through I saw something that you might want to take a look at. In your statement about data persistence you say "If I change any data, such as with a unit test, I can stop and restart my container, returning to the original state of the database schema and data". I understand what you are saying here however using the words Stop and Start which are docker container commands may leave it unclear. Simply stopping then starting your container will not return your container back to the original state. You would have to recreate the container from image (docker run) for the data to revert; and then only if not using volumes to persist.

I just didn't want this to confuse anyone that might be reading this and following along.

Thanks for providing this wonderfully informative stairway.

--Kimbo

• Fair point, and I'll reword.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply