SSRS with DB Mirroring for Disaster Recovery

• I hope so, I recently got a status update, saying that it had been accepted, but not yet scheduled for publication.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• May be you could help me about the following problem?

I have configured mirroring on ReportServer DB using server A and server B

When I execute a manual failover of Reportserver DB, it becomes principal on server B.

It's OK.

If I try to access the Report Server on server B, I get the error message 'The Report Server installation is not initialized'.

The command "rskeymgmt -l" returns ServerA\MSSQLSERVER.

I order to make the Report Server running on server B, I must execute the following:

- delete the encryption keys of the old principal (server A): rskeymgmt -d

- restore the encryption keys of the old principal (server A): after this, The command "rskeymgmt -l" returns ServerB\MSSQLSERVER

- also, to execute the reports, I must re-enter the Shared Data Source (connection string + Credentials)

Do you have also to do that after a failover of your reportserver DB?

Is it normal or did I miss something when configuring?

Thanks for your help.

Brigitte

• when setting up RS on the failover server you should have done all the configuration steps exactly as on the primary server, including creating RS databases, did you do that?

The when you set up mirroring splat over the databases you created on the failover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi brigitte,

It sounds like you are going along the right lines, but I think you may be missing the step of deleting the report server instances in the report server database, dbo.Keys table.

If your datasource crendentials are stored in report server, then you shouldn't have to redefine then as your restoring the encryption keys from report server A.

I'll send you a PM as well.;-)

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Article is now published for anyone interested:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/488664/150471

😀

• nice one Dave, good job.

there is some inconsistency in the names of the backups and locations I think you may want to check and edit 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• will do. thanks.

• hello Dave,

Just one question: how would you manage the startup of Reporting Service at boot time? The service should be started only if the ReportServer databases are principal on the server.

Can we set the service startup as manual and create an alert to start it if report databases are principal?

• The RS service should be set to manual on both machines.

You could certainly try to set the database server to start the service using an alert on boot up.

At the moment I manually start it after startup as our servers are normally only restarted if they are acting as a mirror.

Let me know what you set up though and if it works well.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply