SSRS Study/Career Advice

• I am a newbie to SQL and currently learning T-SQL (MS-SQL 2008R2 version). I have been working as a Data Validator for past 2 years and would like my next career path to be a SSRS Report Developer. I feel once I get better at TQL and because I am used to creating reports in both Excel and Access this would be an easier transition for me career wise than the other BI Tools SSIS and SSAS.

I have some questions regarding my course of study though and I hope I can get some answers from all of them that I have listed below:

A). I will eventually learn the other BI Tools after SSRS but as I feel that a Report Builder/Writer will be an easier transition for me (this is what I hope but any thoughts on this are welcome). Which of the other BI tools should I learn next that will assist me better as a Report Developer SSIS or SSAS?

B). I have seen jobs for experienced SQL Developers with a request for knowledge of C# and sometimes XML . This will be later studying for me of course but as either Report Developer, or other BI Analyst how necessary will knowing either of these be ?

C) . Is it more crucial to master the T-SQL language or be better at utilizing the tools/services in SSRS when just starting out ?

• Hello,

In my humble opinion I do not think you should focus on only one area of SQL. This limits you tremendously, plus you will have to write T-SQL code for SSRS anyway. I recommend picking up the following book and reading it cover to cover. I have been following this author since SQL 2000 and these books have really helped my SQL game.

Step 1: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Microsoft-Server-2008-Programming/dp/0470257016

Step 2: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Microsoft-Server-2008-Programming/dp/0470257024

• fakedon63 (11/26/2013)

I am a newbie to SQL and currently learning T-SQL (MS-SQL 2008R2 version). I have been working as a Data Validator for past 2 years and would like my next career path to be a SSRS Report Developer. I feel once I get better at TQL and because I am used to creating reports in both Excel and Access this would be an easier transition for me career wise than the other BI Tools SSIS and SSAS.

I have some questions regarding my course of study though and I hope I can get some answers from all of them that I have listed below:

A). I will eventually learn the other BI Tools after SSRS but as I feel that a Report Builder/Writer will be an easier transition for me (this is what I hope but any thoughts on this are welcome). Which of the other BI tools should I learn next that will assist me better as a Report Developer SSIS or SSAS?

B). I have seen jobs for experienced SQL Developers with a request for knowledge of C# and sometimes XML . This will be later studying for me of course but as either Report Developer, or other BI Analyst how necessary will knowing either of these be ?

C) . Is it more crucial to master the T-SQL language or be better at utilizing the tools/services in SSRS when just starting out ?

A. I would start with SSAS (and it's query language MDX) in favor of SSIS, because you might need to create reports on top of SSAS. DX ain't easy though...

B. XML is just asked because the report is basically an XML file. You don't need to lose any sleep over this. C# is weird, because SSRS uses Visual Basic for expressions and customization. Maybe they need you to do other development as well.

C. If you want fast running reports, you better write some decent TSQL. But you need to know both of course.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• In addition to the great advice from Koen....

SSAS is tough because building and querying cubes is much different than querying a database. Data Warehousing requires you to "De-normalize" data when databases require you to "Normalize data". SSAS is a different animal indeed.

Again, I would read that beginners book as it covers all of these areas. It's good to be familiar with the entire SQL suite (SSAS, SSIS, SSRS). You do not need to be an expert, as you will get most of your experience when you are presented with projects. Make sure you at least understand the following...

1) SSIS: How to create/deploy a basic SSIS package.

2) SSRS: Create/deploy SSRS reports (report builder/report manager).

3) SSAS: Create Deploy basic cubes. Learn the basics of MDX as well. (MDX is very different from T-SQL).

4) T-SQL: This is essential to just about anything that you do in SQL. Focus on getting strong T-SQL skills.

I hope this helps 🙂

Dave

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply