SSRS - Specifying Test db and live db connections

• Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a report to point to a test DB which can be deployed to a TEST folder on a report server instance AND have the same report point to the LIVE database when published to a LIVE folders?

Is that possible?? Would I need to use some sort of shared data source, and have to 2 publish deploy locations?

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• The easiest way is to set up two data source folders.

• Michael Earl (1/21/2008)

The easiest way is to set up two data source folders.

That is correct you need two copies of the report that is copy the RDL and solution files to production and make sure the datasource database is also running in production. We do this all the time most times there are three four copies running.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• ok.

thanks thats answered my question 😀

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• I've done it where I've had multiple data sources in the report, then just edited the DataSets right after Testing so that it pointed to the proper data source when I was ready to move the report into Production.

Of course, this doesn't accomplish the "simultaneous" requirement you're seeking, but if it's a matter of moving the report through SDLC first, this works well.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply