SSRS Scale Out Deployment Behind F5 Load Balancer

• Morning Guys,

It has been dictated to me that I cannot use Microsofts' NLB and must use F5 instead.

Has anyone had success in setting up a Scale-out deployment of SSRS using F5 as the load balancer.

The usual google search doesnt lead to anything definitive or step by step and as I know very little about load balancers (certainly F5) I need something aimed at dummies.

Cheers
    Alex

• alex.sqldba - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 3:50 AM

Morning Guys,

It has been dictated to me that I cannot use Microsofts' NLB and must use F5 instead.

Has anyone had success in setting up a Scale-out deployment of SSRS using F5 as the load balancer.

The usual google search doesnt lead to anything definitive or step by step and as I know very little about load balancers (certainly F5) I need something aimed at dummies.

Cheers
    Alex

Yes. - it  works fine but I don't know of any step by step instructions or tutorials for SSRS and specifically using F5's load balancer. There are instructions for using a load balancer with SSRS which aren't F5 specific: 
    Configure a Report Server on a Network Load Balancing Cluster

The F5 website has a lot of documentation, explanations, You may want to start with something like this document: 
    Load Balancing 101: Nuts and Bolts

Sue

• Hi All,

I am back again -- this time I think I know a bit more about what I want to do or how to do it. I was over complicating some of it in my head. As normal.

Though now I have come to a bit of a quandary about how to achieve this. I think I want two independent SSRS servers each with a local instance of SQL running their OWN copy of the reports database.

Apart from the down side of each report needing to be uploaded twice, is there anything I am missing?

Out reporting release process is handled by powershell anyway, and so adding in one more deployment is no hardship.

Cheers
    Alex

• alex.sqldba - Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:40 AM

Hi All,

I am back again -- this time I think I know a bit more about what I want to do or how to do it. I was over complicating some of it in my head. As normal.

Though now I have come to a bit of a quandary about how to achieve this. I think I want two independent SSRS servers each with a local instance of SQL running their OWN copy of the reports database.

Apart from the down side of each report needing to be uploaded twice, is there anything I am missing?

Out reporting release process is handled by powershell anyway, and so adding in one more deployment is no hardship.

Cheers
    Alex

Users, security, configurations can all be different between the two different servers? And how is this going to work with subscriptions?
    I can see where data sources could potentially have some issues depending on how all if this is setup.
    It doesn't make a lot of sense but I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish - are you trying to scale out without Enterprise Edition or something along those lines?

Sue

• I am trying achieve both high availability (each server is in a different DC) and some positive performance impact by having 2 (or more) SSRS servers.

But now you have pointed out what I hadn't thought of. I wonder what you think of the possibility of these two servers having the reporting database in an availability group local to the SSRS services, and the SSRS services pointed at a listener.

So the servers SSRS1 and SSRS2 both have SSRS configured to point to LN-SSRS (listener)

LN-SSRS resolves to either SSRS1 or SSRS2 depending which is the principal.

The load balancer looks after routing traffic to SSRS1 or SSRS2 depending on the method chosen (for testing it will be round-robin)

I hope that I have explained that clear enough.

Cheers!

• alex.sqldba - Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:10 AM

I am trying achieve both high availability (each server is in a different DC) and some positive performance impact by having 2 (or more) SSRS servers.

But now you have pointed out what I hadn't thought of. I wonder what you think of the possibility of these two servers having the reporting database in an availability group local to the SSRS services, and the SSRS services pointed at a listener.

So the servers SSRS1 and SSRS2 both have SSRS configured to point to LN-SSRS (listener)

LN-SSRS resolves to either SSRS1 or SSRS2 depending which is the principal.

The load balancer looks after routing traffic to SSRS1 or SSRS2 depending on the method chosen (for testing it will be round-robin)

I hope that I have explained that clear enough.

Cheers!

Yes thanks for the extra info.
    Out of the box, for report server databases, there really is limited support with always on availability groups. You still need the Reporting Services to point the database and it's not going to automatically use a replica on failover. That doesn't mean you can write something to address it but you would need a script to do that or would need to manage it manually. And those databases (ReportServer, ReportServerTempdb) need to be read-write - another set of those as replicas won't work.
    I've only done load balancing with a regular scale out deployment with a few Reporting Services servers pointing to the same reporting services databases.
    Maybe this document gives you more ideas of what options are supported - it also includes a link to Reporting Services with Always On that you would want to read:
    High availability in SQL Server Reporting Services

Sue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply