SSRS Report Server Performance Monitoring

• I was looking for recommendations on SSRS Report Server Performance Monitoring. I've thought about just utilizing PerfMon ReportServer:Service Collection Set which has all of the related counter(however we don't even have that collection set installed and I don't even see any counters for SSRS at all). Just looking for a general consensus on monitoring.

• I think it depends.  What are you looking to monitor?

There are database monitoring tools and SSRS has a SQL Server back end so you may want to monitor that.  Or you may be wanting to monitor the CPU/memory utilization in which case something like Cacti could do it.  Or maybe you want both and WMI or perfmon is the way to go.

In the end, I think it depends on what you are wanting to monitor.  In general, I don't monitor SSRS itself as it seems to be pretty lightweight.  If end users are complaining about report performance, I will check the activity log to check if slowness was due to data retrieval or rendering.

That is my approach.  Any performance issues we have come across in SSRS have been due to the data pulls, not SSRS itself.

The above is just my opinion though.  Others may disagree with what I am monitoring and may recommend better monitoring.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I'm looking to monitor SSRS Memory and several of the other performance counters for SSRS. I don't even see the SSRS Performance Counters period. I'm running SS2016 and SS2017 and SSRS is installed on all of these servers.

• If you are running SSRS 2017 or later - the performance counters are no longer available.  See this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server/monitoring-report-server-performance?view=sql-server-ver15

Note

Power BI Report Server and SQL Server Reporting Services 2017 and later do not include Reporting Services performance objects. There are .NET Framework performance counters available to provide performance monitoring for the report server.

Just curious - but why are you running multiple instances of SSRS?  Are there specific requirements for each instance of SQL Server to have its own dedicated instance of SSRS?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffrey. I looked around on one of my SS2019 Server for the .net framework counters and I don't see anything that is obviously for Report Server Counters. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

• According to the article in the link - there isn't something specific to reporting services.  The counters are .NET related counters:

Performance object

Notes

.NET CLR Data and .NET CLR Memory

The web portal uses ASP.NET performance counters. For more information, download Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability.

Process

Add the Elapsed Time and ID Process performance counters for a ReportingServicesService instance to track process uptime by process ID.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply