SSRS Report Server

• Good day experts,

We have a report server at my work,we want to move the current production(SQL 2014) to a new server with better hardware.My question is, do i have to configure a new reporting server after the move or i can still use the one before.
    I am new to ssrs.

Thanks for your willing to help.

• I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you're moving server, you'll need to reinstall all the services yes. If it's the same version, however, you can restore the database and then point your new installed service to use the restored database. Just make sure you back up and restore your keys.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• It's best to re-configure a new report server, even if the settings are the same.  I've never imported report server settings, always manually setting it up.

• tmmutsetse - Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:42 AM

Good day experts,

We have a report server at my work,we want to move the current production(SQL 2014) to a new server with better hardware.My question is, do i have to configure a new reporting server after the move or i can still use the one before.
    I am new to ssrs.

Thanks for your willing to help.

You do not have to create a new report server - if one of the source systems (or even the only source system) is upgraded or migrated.  All you need to do is change the data source to point to the new system.

With that said - any time you are upgrading a source system you definitely need to test and evaluate all report code to ensure that new system doesn't break that code.  If all of your report code is embedded in the RDL files, then you should build a test SSRS system and test every single report that uses that data source to validate it works as expected against the new system.  If the code is contained in stored procedures on the source system - then make sure you test every single procedure after the upgrade/migration.

Of course - if the opportunity is available - you should consider upgrading your SSRS system to the latest available version if it isn't already.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply