SSRS Portability similiar to SSIS

• Probelm Statement:

After completing SSRS report development in Dev, I want to change the server connections in my reports for production deployment. The production environment is an MS Dynamix set up where the reports are deployed. Is there a way to configure Datasource connections(Server) in SSRS 2008 similar to SSIS 2012 Project paramerters or Package configurations. The purpose of the excercise is to change the server connections without opening the rdl file and there is no option for having a share DS on the production side. The standard goto approach I use is to open the XML version and change the server values. Is there any other approach outside of this?

Thank you.

• If I am not mistaken (forgive me, I have not done this in awhile) you can use a shared datasource. Say you have a shared datasource called DS1... You would have DS1 setup in your dev environment configured accordingly and another shared datasource in production configured to work there. Provided that both data sources are configured correctly, the report will work just fine when it is deployed to either environment without any changes to the RDL.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Oops..sorry dude, I forgot to include this in the problem statement: The reports will be deployed onto MS Dynamix. So there is no provision for having a shared DS.

But your approach sure works on a RS portal.

Thanks.

• Bummer, I don't know anything about Dynamics. 🙁

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Me neither lol! I usually modify the xml and change the servers before handing over the rdls to another team. It would be great if SSRS 2008 had a feature like package configurations or project parameters in SSIS 2012

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply