SSRS Permission Dilemma

• This drives me nuts.

I am using SQL 2008 SSRS.

User reported that they could not see the Property of reports as he was trying to modify his reports.

So I went ahead and granted him ALL the permissions in the Secutiry for his report folder, i.e. Browser, Content Manager, My Reports, Publisher, Report Builder

but, still, when he opened the report ( he could view and run the report successfully) and tried clicking the Property button, it popped the message saying:

The permissions granted to user 'domain\username' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied)

I noticed if I grant user the local sysadmin right on the SSRS server, user could do things with no problem. ( FYI: the BUILTIN\Administrators user ONLY has the Content Manager role)

It puzzled me that why the almighty Content Manager role didn't help in this case? every task is checked in the Content Manager role definition.

Any advices would be appreciated. TIA.

-MW

• Owner of the Report ?

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Hi,

You need to give the appropriate user / usergroup the "System user" role via Site Settings.

The "System Administrator" should should only be used for elevated administrative tasks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337385.aspx

Regards

Karl

• Grant the user "Browser" on the root directory.

Accessing the properties of a report seems to first check something in the root directory, if the user has no rights there he get's the rsAccessDenied.

• Appreciate all the replies, and especially...... thank Oliiiii!!!!!!

Oliiii (4/18/2011)

Grant the user "Browser" on the root directory.

Accessing the properties of a report seems to first check something in the root directory, if the user has no rights there he get's the rsAccessDenied.

Granting the user "Browser" on the root directory solved my problem.

I can stop pulling my hair now. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply