SSRS over SSL with IIS

• Hello,

I have a server that wears multiple hats and we need to put another on one it (it is a Windows 2016 server). I have an extensive set of reporting tools built into SSRS for the enterprise and now have the requirement to make it externally available so management can access it from home. SSRS is working perfectly on this server internally. I added port 80 bindings using a public DNS name we created and I'm able to access the site externally over port 80 (although it is not secure so I didn't try logging in).

This server is also running two websites and will likely add more as time progresses that will need to be externally accessible. One of the sites is using SSL and the binding is to port 443. I know I can add multiple websites, each with their own cert, all binding to 443 and it uses the host header to determine which site responds to the request.

So, I thought that since IIS allows multiple sites bound to 443, I should be able to bind SSRS on 443 as well but I get an error. The documentation I could find is pretty limited on having both SSRS and IIS on the same server but from what I could find, it appears they don't play well together (I wish I knew this a long time ago!). I can bind it to a different port but I would prefer not to if I can avoid it. While I understand how that works in the browser, explaining that to my users will make me jump.

My end goal is to have the websites responding as they do now based on the host header AND have SSRS do the same.

Thoughts?

• If you have something like Netscaler available - you could setup an external IP and name that is SSL enabled.  The entry would be setup with SSL offload - which essentially means all SSL traffic is encrypted from the client device to the Netscaler.  The SSL certificate would be applied on the Netscaler and associated with that address.

The configuration on the Netscaler will route traffic to your SSRS instance over port 80.

This allows all internal network traffic to remain over port 80 - and all external traffic over port 443.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• So we don't have a need for a load balancer and being a non-profit, won't likely get to spend that kind of money.

Other ideas?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply