SSRS Licensing Question...

• I have a hot stand-by server that has all of my mirrored dbs. It's just sitting there doing almost nothing. If I want to run SSRS on it do I have to pay for any licensing?

Thanks

Dave

• Once you start using it for production purposes while the active databases are on the primary server, yes.

• and of course, you cannot read the mirrors, you would have to take a Database Snapshot of each to report on it. (or some other copy).

Tim White

• Dave,

As you pointed you have " a hot stand-by server that has all of my mirrored dbs", that means your server should have Standard or Enterprise Edition installed, i.e. you paid already for Sql Server license. In this case you probably do not need additional license for SSRS.

• I can purchase a single license of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition and install it on two servers as long as the second server is a "passive" failover, either as a cluster or mirrored databases. Once you start doing active work, then you need to pay for additional licenses.

Please note, this is my understanding of the SQL Server licensing and may not be completely accurate. I have read and re-read the licensing so many times parts of it may have been blurred.

• I believe as soon as you take a Snapshot of your mirrors or have any DB in a readable state, (whether you are using them or not) you are now responsible for licensing that server.

Tim White

• 2 Tim 3:16 (8/27/2009)

I believe as soon as you take a Snapshot of your mirrors or have any DB in a readable state, (whether you are using them or not) you are now responsible for licensing that server.

Which is what I originally stated earlier.

• yes, you did, and more eloquently than I. sorry to reiterate, sorry to reiterate.

Tim White

• Thanks for your replies. I found the definitive answer here...

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/Special-Considerations.aspx#passive

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply