SSRS Fixed Position Rectangles

• Hello,

I have a report that is designed to give us a visual representation of available kennel space in our facility. The floorplan image is defined as the background image on a rectangle. Each of the kennel areas are contained in a rectangle on top of the rectangle with the floorplan. The rdl file is attached for review.

When I started into this particular project, I searched for a way to preserve position of each of the report items and the rectangle method came back as the only way to guarantee position at the time the report is generated. I have spent a considerable amount of time making sure each rectangle is positioned precisely where it needs to be on the page. In the designer, when I preview the report, it is as perfect as I can get (note that the image shows the dog lost & found area not lining up as I haven't completed that area just yet). I'm able to zoom in and out in preview and everything stays put exactly where I expect to see it.

On Friday, I decided to publish what I had completed to the server and I'm greatly disappointed at how it looks on the server. I'm at a loss to know how to correct it and can't find anything other than using the rectangles as I have already done. Here is the output on the server:

I even tried it in Internet Explorer and Edge to make sure it wasn't an issue with Chrome. I have not tried Firefox since I don't have it loaded and don't have a need (or desire) to load it. Any ideas as to how to fix this issue are appreciated!

• Rendering as web or rendering as PDF?

• Rendering to the browser. I'm working to eliminate printing and this particular report will have a five minute refresh set. We are putting a couple of all-in-one computers in strategic areas so staff know where space is available without having to look it up.

• I've only used PDF for exact layouts. Does it "print" correctly there?
    Have you played around with HTML device settings html-device-information-settings

• I haven't tried to print it. The image of the floorplan is too large for normal paper so I suspect it would be a mess. Most of what I do is printable as well. This was one exception where we expect it will never be printed since we are purchasing a special large display to keep this up all of the time on.

I did read through the link you sent and didn't see anything that popped out that would help. One of the options looked like it might be worth trying but the default is true anyhow so I guess I'm already "trying" that option.

Please feel free to share this question with others you know that have SSRS experience. This one just has me stumped. I have worked with SSRS for 13 years now and never had something I couldn't get laid out correctly.

• jim.powers - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:45 AM

I haven't tried to print it. The image of the floorplan is too large for normal paper so I suspect it would be a mess. Most of what I do is printable as well. This was one exception where we expect it will never be printed since we are purchasing a special large display to keep this up all of the time on.

I did read through the link you sent and didn't see anything that popped out that would help. One of the options looked like it might be worth trying but the default is true anyhow so I guess I'm already "trying" that option.

Please feel free to share this question with others you know that have SSRS experience. This one just has me stumped. I have worked with SSRS for 13 years now and never had something I couldn't get laid out correctly.

Have you tried adjusting your page size to what it would be if you actually printed it?   Or give it a ridiculously long length, like 100" ?

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Hmmm, good thought! The floorplan image has a size of 17.3in x 9.1in so I adjusted my page size (from the 11 x 8 1/2 default) to 18in x 10in with 0" margins all the way around. Unfortunately, it didn't change the output.

• jim.powers - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:58 AM

Hmmm, good thought! The floorplan image has a size of 17.3in x 9.1in so I adjusted my page size (from the 11 x 8 1/2 default) to 18in x 10in with 0" margins all the way around. Unfortunately, it didn't change the output.

Did a little re-sizing, so not sure if it will have an impact, but what the heck...

• Thank you for trying! It's good in the designer but when I deploy to the server, it still does the same thing. Must have something to do with the HTML renderer on the server. Just wish I knew what magical combination of settings would make it happy.

• jim.powers - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:47 AM

Thank you for trying! It's good in the designer but when I deploy to the server, it still does the same thing. Must have something to do with the HTML renderer on the server. Just wish I knew what magical combination of settings would make it happy.

Well, if Mohammed won't come to the mountain....   Bring the mountain to Mohammed (so to speak)...  Use a PC with VS on it and have it be the source for the monitor with that report sitting there, refreshing itself via some kind of Windows automation script that simulates hitting the mouse button every so often ???

Chances are, you then have to avoid having the mouse move, unless your automation script tool is a lot fancier and can be taught to move the mouse to the correct location for the button that does the refresh.

• Another thing that I've seen work recently is to put all of those rectangles into one other big rectangle. Or in a couple...depends on your report.
    I am starting to wonder if some of the "older" workarounds have changed/broke with HTML5 rendering engine.

Sue

• sgmunson - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:20 AM

jim.powers - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:47 AM

Thank you for trying! It's good in the designer but when I deploy to the server, it still does the same thing. Must have something to do with the HTML renderer on the server. Just wish I knew what magical combination of settings would make it happy.

Well, if Mohammed won't come to the mountain....   Bring the mountain to Mohammed (so to speak)...  Use a PC with VS on it and have it be the source for the monitor with that report sitting there, refreshing itself via some kind of Windows automation script that simulates hitting the mouse button every so often ???

Chances are, you then have to avoid having the mouse move, unless your automation script tool is a lot fancier and can be taught to move the mouse to the correct location for the button that does the refresh.

Interesting thought! Actually, setting auto-refresh on the report is honored in VS (at least the version I have) so I could do that if I can't find another solution.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply