SSRS Email Log review

• Hi gang,

I need some guidance: I have a SQL server 2016 standard instance set up with SSRS on a remote server environment (running NetForum)

I have been tasked with helping the report team allow scheduled reports to get sent via email. Seems simple, right?

We are using Office 365. I set up an email account specifically for sending reports and assigned it an E3 license (overkill, I know, but that is what the company gave me!)

I used Reporting Services Configuration Manager to configure the basic email settings:

SMTP Server
    Authentication Type
    Username
    Password

The rsreportserver.xml file is configured as such:

<SMTPServerPort> value to 587
    <SendUsing> is set to 2
    <SMTPAuthenticate> is set to 1
    <From> has the sending email address
    <SMTPAccountName> is blank

Long story short, nothing is sent.

My question is this: Where can I view any logs associated with SSRS Email? I have looked through every log that I can find and have turned up nada.

I have seen posts where other folks talk about the error messages they are seeing, but I just don't know how to view them!

Anybody have insight to this?

THANKS 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  kranitz.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Assuming you are logging all the runs (I think that's the default), you can have a look in the reportserver database.

The Catalog table holds all the reports.

You'll also need to check the subscriptions table and, potentially, the ReportSchedule table.

• The errors would usually be in the Reporting Services Trace Log file - search through the log for word ERROR to find the errors being logged.

Report Server Service Trace Log

Sue

• Thanks for the assist guys and sorry for the lengthy delay in responding: I was out of town for a couple of weeks on vacation! 🙂

So it looks like NetForum support found the issue out to be the data source settings for the report in NetForum... Following is what they presented:

It seems that the data source for the report manager was set to use netFORUMEP. It is normally set to to be netFORUMEP_ReadOnly. In order to confirm if that was the issue they changed the data source to netFORUMEP_ReadOnly for A/R Aging reports. That report now seems to be working. I was able to get it to run successfully this morning as well in LIVE.

You can test out other reports to see if they work but you will need to change data source for other reports if they have same issue. You can also just change data source setting for netFORUMEP to be same as netFORUMEP_ReadOnly. That way you don't have to go in and change every report data source.

So that seems to be that!

I'm grateful for you taking the time to respond and help out 🙂

Regards

Mitch

• Aww crap! I didn't mean to mark my response as the Answer! Sue and Richard gave the direct answer to the question I presented. Sorry guys 🙂

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply