SSRS 2016 Scale-Out Deployment

• Hello All,

I am running a Windows Server 2016, with SQL Server and SSRS 2016. Licensing is not a concern.

I am getting stuck understanding how scale-out deployment works.

What I am looking to achieve is: "Round Robin Load Balancing of Incoming Connections and making the service available in the event of a datacentre loss.
     - 3 SSRS Service Nodes in 3 different data centres 
     - load balancer up front (we have an F5 device available, though WIN-NLB is not ruled out).

So every user enters via reports.company.tld and is sent to one of the three SSRS Servers. With 100 users the spread should look *roughly* like 33/33/34.

So my questions....  That I am struggling to get succinct answer for:
    .. Does that mean I need 3 copies of reportserver and reportsservertempdb?
    .. if so, does deploying a report mean deploying to all 3 separately?

Or can all 3 SSRS Services share a single reportserver and reporsservertempdb that is in an Availability Group

And lastly, load balancing -- how do I set that up? Does anyone have a link to a guide on setting up a NLB or a good book?

Cheers
    Alex

• alex.sqldba - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:18 AM

So my questions....  That I am struggling to get succinct answer for:
    .. Does that mean I need 3 copies of reportserver and reportsservertempdb?
    .. if so, does deploying a report mean deploying to all 3 separately?

Or can all 3 SSRS Services share a single reportserver and reporsservertempdb that is in an Availability Group

And lastly, load balancing -- how do I set that up? Does anyone have a link to a guide on setting up a NLB or a good book?

Cheers
    Alex

You would have just one server with the ReportServer and ReportServerTempdb databases. When you install SSRS on the other servers and get to the part for the databases, you point to the ones you already installed. The reports, data sources, folders, subscriptions - all of that - are all located the database on the one server that all of the additional servers point so the reports don't have to be installed on multiple servers. Everything just points to the one "set" of Reporting Services databases.
    Here is the link to Microsoft's documentation which has additional links towards the bottom of the article:
    Configure a Native Mode Report Server Scale-Out Deployment
    The load balancing depends on what you are using for your NLB. In your case, you'd want to contact F5 or check their site, forums. It's not that uncommon so you should be able to find some information at their site here:
    DevCentral
    And then just to get an idea of how it all works, you can check these links which also reference windows NLB since that may still be an option:
    Scaling out Reporting Services & changes in SQL Server 2016
    Configure a Report Server on a Network Load Balancing Cluster

And this article might help visualizing the components in a scale out deployment:
    Reporting Services Performance and Optimization

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply