SSRS 2016 Authentication

• Hello,

We have a database of Customer logins to our main website. I want these users to be able to use their original logins and not have to have new ones for SSRS

This used to be accomplished (I believe) by using the Forms Authentication samples (https://msftrsprodsamples.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SS2012%21Security%20Extension%20Sample&referringTitle=Home)

However, there is no ReportManager folder in SSRS 2016 so this doesn't work.

There is a very long thread at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c3e11282-495b-4e2a-b422-524dba378444/custom-authentication-provider-for-ssrs-2016-?forum=SQLServer2016Preview which doesn't really tell you much.

Does anyone know of a way I can point a simple webpage to my existing Customer Database that will then authenticate me to SSRS?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Phil

• I need to be sure I understand your question.....

You want your users to be able to access a report without having to enter a new username and password?

If that is the question then here is the answer:

- Create a group in active directory with the users that need to access the report

- Create a datasource and report in SSRS and reference the data you need

- Give the AD-Group browser rights to the Report or report folder

- Send the link to the folder or report to your users

- Additional users can be entered directly into the AD-Group and access is implicitely allowed

If I haven't understood your question properly then please let me know....

• Hello,

I cannot create them in AD as the original WebApp does not have AD authentication.

I have an existing website that has a database of users. I want them to be able to use these accounts to authenticate to SSRS.

I am aware WebForms authentication lets you do something similar but I cannot find a definitive guide for this on SSRS 2016 and anything written for below 2016 doesn't work.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply