SSRS 2008 - Report with parameters in a Drop-Down box

• Does anyone know a good site/resource to watch/read/listen etc. to learn how to create such a report in Reporting Services 2008 ?

Just a simple report which loads combo box from a filed in a table,

and then a selected value is sent as a parameter to the dataset

which loads a tablix below from another table or view. As simple as that.

I spent 10 hours and going NUTS right now.

I have no problem doing it in 2005, but either they overcomplicated it in 2008, or my brain got overheated at my new job... something is not right..

For example, I have no clue and help failed to help how to get to the

Parameters Properties dialogue box.

Brothers in SQL,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSSIBLE HELP!

VLadimir

Likes to play Chess

• I don't understand what you mean by it worked in 2005 because there was no Tablix in 2005 so maybe that is reason for the confusion. So I am assuming you are talking about Matrix and not Tablix and Matrix still exist so use it.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• no. it has nothing to do with matrix or the kind. what i am talking about is that i actually don't know HOW to do it so that dropdown appears. for example, when i change a query

to suit a parameter: .....WHERE field1 = @Param1

Then I go to dataset-->Properties, press on parameters, add a parameter to = @Param1,

but ONLY TEXT BOX APPEARS to accept the parameter, not the drop-down.

and i want dropdown.

Likes to play Chess

• Well as far as I understood you already managed to add the parameter to the report. In order to complete the task with the drop-down you have to go to the parameter itself (in BIDS it is in the upper left part of the Report data window, just above the datasource is a folder called Parameters). Double click on the parameter and then go to Available values page. There you have two choices - a predefined set of values which you hardcode in the report or dynamically build a list for the drop-down (here you have to add an additional dataset to the report from which to get the values).

Good luck!

• THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! now it clarifies it.

I was able to see parameters in the rdl/xml code but never saw the parameters in Report Data window. Now I saw them there and was able to go into the report parameter properties dialog..

but.. believe it or not, i accidentally closed the Report Data Window! And now I spent hours going through all possible menues and choices to add it back - no luck ..

HOW CAN I REOPEN THE CLOSED REPORT DATA WINDOW?

From what menus? Or from Toolbox? how?

Thanks again.

Vlad

Likes to play Chess

• I'm glad I could help. Now about the window - you can open it by going to View->Report Data or press hot key combination Ctrl+Alt+D.

all best,

ivan

• Ivan,

I appreciate your help a lot !

This is my first week of working with VS 2008 BI project (before I did Crystal and SQL 2005 primarily), and I need to create a couple of dozen reports within a very short period of time, that is why no time is left for studying the environment in detail.. But thanks to experts in 2008 like you are i can survive 🙂 !

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE KEY COMBINATION !

Great time saver for me.

If you do not mind, I would like to stay in touch with you and possibly ask you to be a part time instructor/Report Analyst in the future for my jobs and undertakings? my email is vladisaev@hotmail.com

do you live in Europe or USA?

Vlad

Likes to play Chess

• Hi

I am trying to add multi valued parameters to my SSRS 2k8 report.

I selected Parameters Properties>> selected multi value option

and in AVAILABE VALUES>> i selected specify values and this works fine

But when I slect go to Query option and then dataset

It is not working.

thanks in advance

• I guess we have to create new dataset for dynamically get the values from the drop down. am right?

• Hi casanova,

You can reference the values from the dropdown in a dataset by using @ symbol in front of the name of the parameter.

So for example if you have a dropdown parameter list of months (numbers from 1 to 12) named DD_Months, then you can create a dataset like this:

select SUM(amount) from SalesDetails where month = @DD_Months

This way when you render the report, RS will first wait for a user input for month (from the edrop down).

• Thanks for your help Ivan,

I got that and worked perfect

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply