Name Bills Disbs WIP Exposure Client

Smith 5,000 1,000 1,000 7,000 500

Jones 10,000 5,000 5,000 20,000 1,500

Roberts 12,000 6,000 3,000 21,000 750

Beckham 15,000 5,000 20,000 40,000 1,000

Exp >25k 15,000 5,000 20,000 40,000 1,000

Exp <25k>10k 22,000 11,000 8,000 41,000 2,250

Exp <10k 5,000 1,000 1,000 7,000 500

What i am trying to acheive is the several subtotals.

Basically i need to total each column based on the Exposure value. For example, if the Exposure value is less than 10,000 i want to only total each column if the Exposure meets this criteria. Likewise, if the Exposure value is over 25,000 i want a seperate subtotal for these entries.

As an example, I have tried using the following expression but it does not work:

=Iif(Fields!Exposure.Value<10000, SUM(Fields!Disbs.Value),0)

I would be grateful for any help on this.

Thanks in advanced.

• One way of doing this is to add new columns to your underlying selection query, corresponding to your conditions.

The value of the column will be zero unless the condition is true, in which case it should hold the value you wish to sum (use a CASE construction to do this).

Then you can sum these columns in your report.

No doubt there is a more elegant way of achieving this in RS - I'll leave that for someone who knows it.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (9/14/2011)

One way of doing this is to add new columns to your underlying selection query, corresponding to your conditions.

The value of the column will be zero unless the condition is true, in which case it should hold the value you wish to sum (use a CASE construction to do this).

Then you can sum these columns in your report.

No doubt there is a more elegant way of achieving this in RS - I'll leave that for someone who knows it.

This is my preferred method

• You can also try changing the expression around:

=SUM(IIF(Fields!Exposure.Value<10000, Fields!Disbs.Value,0))

Does this work for you?

• Thanks for the reply but this did not work. It returned 'Error'.

I have found a solution elsewhere in case your are interested:

=Sum(iif(Fields!Exposure.Value < 10000, CDbl(Fields!Disbs.Value), CDbl(0)))

I have no idea what 'CDbl' means but it appears that is vital in making the expression work.

I need the expression to work where the Exposure amount is >= 10000 but <= 25000.

I have tried:

=Sum(iif(Fields!Exposure.Value >= 10000 AND <= 25000, CDbl(Fields!Disbs.Value), CDbl(0)))

Any ideas why this is not working?

Thanks

• CDBL is converting your field to a Double data type. If you only need whole numbers and no decimals you could use CINT instead which would just convert to Integer

• For you second expression, in your comparison you need to state the field name for comparison in both parts so:

=Sum(iif(Fields!Exposure.Value >= 10000 AND Fields!Exposure.Value <= 25000, CDbl(Fields!Disbs.Value), CDbl(0)))

• You may need to 'nest' your iif's:

Level 1: iif(condition, true, false)

Level 2: iif(condition, true, iif(condition2, true2, false2))

etc etc

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks again.

The expression worked fine.

• I'm in a similar situation though in SSRS 2008.

I am interested in knowing how to write an expression that says;

iif the row_description is A then return Count(item_id)

Iif the row_description is B then return AVG(price)

iif the row_description is C then return Count of C's item_ids /iif row_description is A then Count of A's item_ids.

In other words, I need a top count to be based on a different condition than the bottom count.

what approach and functions to pursue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply