SSRS 2005 appears to be broken, how do I fix it?

• Rod,

Based on the above, my understanding is that you can access the reports via the ReportServer URL but not via the Reports URL... is this still the case?

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue not long ago... log into your server and navigate to C:\Windows\Temp and make sure that whatever account the SQL Reporting Services server is running under has full access to that TEMP directory. Basically, whenever you run the nice friendly interface it's building and modifying temporary files in that directory, and if it doesn't have full access it can't do that properly, and it fails.

Aside from that, if you can run the reports via ReportServer and not via Reports, it's almost certainly a web issue (IIS or something) and not an SSRS issue. Someone mentioned the encryption key, but all those really protect is the data sources. If that key was the issue, what you'd be seeing is that you'd be able to navigate the site okay but whenever you tried to actually RUN a report, it'd fail to connect to the data source.

When you try to go to Reports, are you only doing so from your own computer or have you also tried doing so from the server itself? On the server itself, by default, you get more verbose error messages on your screen when something fails.

Take a look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportManager and look for the following section:

<system.diagnostics>

<switches>

<!-- 1 = error, 2 = warning, 3 = info, 4 = verbose -->

<add name="DefaultTraceSwitch" value="3" />

</switches>

</system.diagnostics>

Set the DefaultTraceSwitch value to 4, save the file then restart SQL Reporting Services (best to do this via the SSRS Config Manager) and then try going to your Reports site. The log files should be at c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

• cphite (5/3/2012)

Rod,

Based on the above, my understanding is that you can access the reports via the ReportServer URL but not via the Reports URL... is this still the case?

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue not long ago... log into your server and navigate to C:\Windows\Temp and make sure that whatever account the SQL Reporting Services server is running under has full access to that TEMP directory. Basically, whenever you run the nice friendly interface it's building and modifying temporary files in that directory, and if it doesn't have full access it can't do that properly, and it fails.

Aside from that, if you can run the reports via ReportServer and not via Reports, it's almost certainly a web issue (IIS or something) and not an SSRS issue. Someone mentioned the encryption key, but all those really protect is the data sources. If that key was the issue, what you'd be seeing is that you'd be able to navigate the site okay but whenever you tried to actually RUN a report, it'd fail to connect to the data source.

When you try to go to Reports, are you only doing so from your own computer or have you also tried doing so from the server itself? On the server itself, by default, you get more verbose error messages on your screen when something fails.

Take a look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportManager and look for the following section:

<system.diagnostics>

<switches>

<!-- 1 = error, 2 = warning, 3 = info, 4 = verbose -->

<add name="DefaultTraceSwitch" value="3" />

</switches>

</system.diagnostics>

Set the DefaultTraceSwitch value to 4, save the file then restart SQL Reporting Services (best to do this via the SSRS Config Manager) and then try going to your Reports site. The log files should be at c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

I've finally had a chance to try what you suggested. I've given full control privileges to the account that the SSRS service is running under, on that server. Then I brought up web browser on the server, and went to http://myserver/Reports. I got the following error message:

Unable to connect to the remote server

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Seems to me that Reporting Services just doesn't like you for some reason. Wish I could help but not familiar with it enough to provide much assistance. I am watching to see how things turn out. Never know when I might face a similar situation.

• so we're back to where I came in. You can't see the reports either way. You have the pretty GUI and the list... and before, you were seeing through the list; but, people didn't like that. Now you can't see anything. Perhaps something was left in cache and you've cleared it alone the way. Has this machine been restarted since February? Patches applied, etc? It's not always easy to un-install/re-install SQL Server. I haven't done that since 2006 when this site published my notes on cleaning up. We were using Beta software, so anything I wrote about could have been fixed... Still, it could still be difficult. You would be better off trying to install fresh on another host or in a VM. seems like I had other suggestions, let me finish reading and I will comment again below.

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• changing the service accounts used will invalidate the encryption key. I suspect you have now lost your authentication information which means you might as well go ahead and delete the existing key and create a new one. Make a backup of the key to disk before you delete it, just in case. When you make the key, remember the security password you use. You will need to use that if you restore it.

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply