ssrs 2005

• sql server 2005 set up table of contents

I would like to know how to do the following in sql server 2005:

1. Setup a main report and have it pass selected parameters to various subreports.

2. Setup a table of contents for sql server 2005 report servvice that has a main report and various subreports.

• Hi.

Supposing it is a report deployed to a reporting services server, you have the option of a Data driven subscription.

You can associate with a shared schedule with no schedule time. That shared schedule can then be called in the SSIS package. Multiple subscritptions can be associated with a shared schedule. you can also call the data driven subscription directly.

The steps to achieve it can be found with a google search: SSRS Data Driven Subscriptions. I'll provide some links I think important from that google search:

MSDN

Callinf a Data Driven Subscription directly

Programmatically Create Data Driven Subscription

Simple

Advanced subscription (called by a custom procedure)[/url]

• Thanks for your answer but that is not what I was looking for. The reports will not run for users initiallhy if at all. The reports will be exported to a PDF and emailed to users. Thus, can you tell me how to setup a table of contents where there a no links like in the subscriptions you are talking about. This table of contents would be like opeing up a book in a pdf format.

Thanks!

• So what you want is to generate several reports and put all in one pdf with a table of contents?

This reports are in a reporting services server or are just the rdl files?

• Assuming the reports are in reporting services you can use this links that show how to render a report in pdf format and returns the pdf stream in .NET:

Generating PDF reports programmatically using SQL Server Reporting Services 2005, in C#

How to open a report from SQL Server Reporting Services with the Excel Application object

How to Programmatically get a Report in PDF format from SSRS

Exporting a SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 Report Directly to PDF or Excel

With those streams you can work it out with this free library that joins PDFs, among other things.

PDFBox[/url]

If I remember it right you have to go through each pdf, extract the pages and add it to another PDF, page by page.

For the table of contents you can use the bookmarks part of the pdf:Accessing PDF Bookmarks. If by table of contents you mean a page with the index, you can generate a report with that, but without the links. Maybe you can find a way to put the links with the library, but I think it will hardly be available in the library, or at least it will be difficult to implement.

• These reports will be in one PDF file (possibly excel) files with one table of contents for all the reports. These reports will be in a sql server report 2005 web service for certain.

In the future I may eventually write an asp.net application and put the report in a web viewer control. However for now, I am going to display the files in a sql server report 2005 web service.

• If you are thinking about changing from pdf to excel you can use the same tactics for extracting the file stream for the reporting services instance and then use excel.application like in this link

How to open a report from SQL Server Reporting Services with the Excel Application object

or you can try to use the new Open XML SDK. An excelent blog about it Brian Jones & Zeyad Rajabi: Office Solutions[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply