ssr2 2008 upgrade to SSRS 2017

• Hi ,

Currently in my company ssrs report server is SSRS 2008R2 and different data sources connected with different sql servers which are sql server 2012, etc.

Now I need to upgrade the SSRS 2008 R2 to latest version like  SSRS 2017. So do I need to upgrade current SQL server and SSRS versions for each existing environment?

Please suggest.

Thanks

Nita

• Not sure if I totally understand what you're doing but when I did this to upgrade to 2016 SSRS I installed SQL Server 2016 for the reporting server and used RS 2016.. but no, not everything connected to it also needed to be 2016.

• LearnDBA wrote:

So do I need to upgrade current SQL server and SSRS versions for each existing environment? Please suggest.   

No. SSRS can have data sources that query newer and older versions of SQL Server. SSRS uses OleDB to connect to SQL Server data sources, which handles the way the query is passed against the instance. SSRS 2017 will be able to use SQL Server instances as data sources without a problem. I think SSRS 2017 can even be hosted on a 2012+ data engine.

There shouldn't be a problem with going to other way round as well, but i can't say i've tried apart from once (when I had a 2008 report referencing a 2012 instance).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• That helps. Thank you very much for  the quick reply.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply