SSMS User Interface Tip to Freeze Panes.

• Accidentally discovered this, and thought I should share it, as I don't think I've seen it mentioned before.

In Management Studio, in a sql window, if you click on the little rectangular block at the top right of the window (below the X to close), and pull down, the current window splits into panes, allowing you to look at 2 parts of the same procedure simultaneously.

I don't expect it will change your life, but you never know!

• David McKinney (3/19/2013)

I don't expect it will change your life, but you never know!

This is a very valuable tip.

Most people do not know this. So spread the tip around.

For Excel and Word this works the same.

This is just for the small group of people not using SSMS but using Word and Excel. (Can not imagine that there are a lot of people not using SSMS, but still).

Ben

• I have used this feature in other MS apps but never noticed it in SSMS. Now that I can take notice of the feature I will certainly use it. Who knows, maybe it will save some time or help avoid a bug someday. Thanks for sharing.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I knew about the "window split" feature in SSMS and use it often by clicking Window --> Split, but didn't know about the button. That's helpful! Thanks!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (3/20/2013)

I knew about the "window split" feature in SSMS and use it often by clicking Window --> Split, but didn't know about the button. That's helpful! Thanks!

...and guess what, I didn't know about Window / Split! So thanks to you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply