SSMS Slow establishing connection to local instance...?

• I have installed SQL Server 2016 Dev edition 64 bits on my Windows 10 PC and each new connection takes an awful amount of time (about 20 seconds)...

I installed SQL Server as a named instance
    Initially, I had all three protocols enabled (Server side + Client 32 bits and Client 64 bits)
    I tried (through SSMS) to connect to the server using the three different protocols but that made no difference.
    I have tried to leave only TCP-IP (Server + client 32 bits + client 64 bits), restarted the services SQL Server, SQL Server Browser and SQL Server Launchpad (no idea what this is) but that did not make any difference.

Last but not least, a simple .Net application I wrote has no problem connecting... Instantaneous.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks

• If you close and reopen SSMS, does it make any difference?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Saturday, February 25, 2017 11:31 AM

If you close and reopen SSMS, does it make any difference?

Nope but imposing a default database on connection seems to have solved the issue???
    I chose to connect to a default database when opening solution explorer and that seemed to solve whatever the problem was.

Never had that problem before...
    Weird

• Actually... The problem came back...

I tried to connect as "sa" through SSMS and that seemed fine.

I had renamed my PC and my login in SQL Server was still referring to the old name.
    SSMS refused to create a new login for me saying it already existed.

So I removed my windows login from SQL server, recreated it with the right machine name and everything seems fine now.

Thanks for trying to help (as always).
    It is much appreciated

Eric

• If you renamed your PC, was it before or after the SQL Server was installed?  You may also need to do a sp_dropserver 'oldname' and an sp_addserver 'newname', 'local' to get the name resolved.

You can see if it is the wrong one if you use sp_helpserver or select * from sys.servers and look at the name.  If it is not the same name as your PC has, then you need to change it like above.

EXEC sp_dropserver 'oldname'
    EXEC sp_addserver 'newname', 'local'

Ben Miller
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
    @DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com

• Yes, you were right.

Thanks for the tips

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply