SSMS Restore From File Timeout Error

• I'm trying to restore a database from a file (*.BAk file made on another SQL 2005 server) using the Sql Server Management Studio GUI. I right click databases and select restore database and type in the DB name I want and click from file then click the button (...) to navigate to the file which I put in the server's backup folder. I click add in the specify backup window and find the file and click ok and then ok again to close the specify backup window. Then there is a long pause of about 20 secs to get back the Restore Database window. But at the end of the pause I get an error saying that the server timedout (connection timeout) trying to complete the action. The Restore Database window then returns with no backup set listed.

I tried changing the connection timeout (in the SSMS login options) to 30 and then 60 seconds but still fails in about 20 seconds.

Ultimately I had to do the restore using TSQL so it's not a huge problem for me now just wondering if anyone has had this problem or if I was doing something wrong?

Note, I've used the SSMS GUI for restores before with no problems.

Thanks

ChrisG

• hmmm same hpnd with me once and when I tried experimenting in detail I found it happens once you try to process more than 9 gb file. Weird but no clue why? 🙁

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• This is interesting, in my case the file size was 36 Gb. I had done restores from files before that were 25 Gb with no problem. One other thing was different in this case the database had three filegourps where is the past there was only one filegroup.

ChrisG

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply