SSMS Remote Connection

• Hello all,

I can connect from machine/instance A to machine/instance B with SSMS (‘green play-button’), but when I connect from machine/instance B to machine/instance A I see a ‘white dot’ instead of the ‘green play button’. Both firewall’s are off and I’m pretty sure the SQL Server Browsers are running and that I enabled TCP/IP on both machine. Does anyone know what else to check?

Regards

• Can you please post error message if any?

Also, please try enabling Named pipes protocol in SQLServer Configuration Manager.

- Cool_Ice

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...

- SAMJI
    If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you 🙂

• Well, there isn't any error message. At least, I didn't find one in the Windows Event Log. I can see login messages though. Loggin in is not the problem, SSMS just doesn't know if the instance is running or not. At least, that's why I think there is a white dot instead of a green one. I've attached a screenshot to clarify what I mean.

• Try to expand databases through SSMS or run some simple querry againest STSQLSERVER3, I am sure it should throw error message.

- SAMJI
    If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you 🙂

• Ok, I got something. From the logon event data on stsqlserver3:

SubjectUserSid S-1-0-0

SubjectUserName -

SubjectDomainName -

SubjectLogonId 0x0

TargetUserSid S-1-5-7

TargetUserName ANONYMOUS LOGON

TargetDomainName NT AUTHORITY

TargetLogonId 0x2215928

LogonType 3

LogonProcessName NtLmSsp

AuthenticationPackageName NTLM

WorkstationName STSQLSERVER2

LogonGuid {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

TransmittedServices -

LmPackageName NTLM V1

KeyLength 128

ProcessId 0x0

ProcessName -

IpAddress x.x.x.x

IpPort 49438

From the logon event data on stsqlserver2:

SubjectUserSid S-1-0-0

SubjectUserName -

SubjectDomainName -

SubjectLogonId 0x0

TargetUserSid S-1-5-21-2027642260-2478305067-2501958420-1009

TargetUserName stakes

TargetDomainName STSQLSERVER2

TargetLogonId 0x4021c1f

LogonType 3

LogonProcessName NtLmSsp

AuthenticationPackageName NTLM

WorkstationName STSQLSERVER3

LogonGuid {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

TransmittedServices -

LmPackageName NTLM V2

KeyLength 128

ProcessId 0x0

ProcessName -

IpAddress -

IpPort -

I know I'm getting close and I know now it has something to do with Windows security, but where should I look?

• Which authentication u used between two servers??

In server showing green u will be having the permission to start and stop the services but not in other server.

• Check the Authenication for Server3.

Also, hope that you are using Domain Account to login on the server ( not the Local system account).

• @ratheesh.K.Nair: Windows authentication

@chetanr.jain: I'm using a local account and the servers are not in a domain. I see where you are going to, but then the question is why it does work the other direction?

• If you have admin rights (i.e permission to stop and start the service) in that server then the icon will be displayed properly, else it will be shown as white dot

• Got it working! I disabled the User Account Control policies in the Local Security Policy-Local Policies-Security options and restarted the system. Don't know which policy did it for me. I guess I will have to discuss hardening of systems with my colleague now 🙂

Thanks all for thinking with me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply