SSMS Login Properties can't change default language

• Hello,

I have a strange problem with my SSMS 18.2. As you can see in the screenshot the default language is set to arabic, despite the default language is set to english. We checked it from another computer. I can't change it to english either.

Regards

Marcus

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  Dave Convery.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • In addition I get the error when I want to change the default language saying "Login failed for user 'xxx'. Reason: Failed to determine the language and date format while revalidating the login on the connection."

The error is 18456, Severity 14, State 28

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  deubel_m.
  • What does

SELECT @@LANGUAGE

return? Is it really english? If so, you can change the default language for logins by TSQL using

USE [master]
    GO
    ALTER LOGIN [John] WITH DEFAULT_LANGUAGE = English
    GO
  • Hi deubel_m,

I was also surprised to see this bug. This has been confirmed by Microsoft and a fix is on the way (no ETA has been stated). Note that logins aren't actually being set to Arabic unless I make a selection from the default language drop-down then re-select Arabic. I can see this by right-clicking a SQL login created through the GUI, Script Login AS, CREATE, and you will see the DEFAULT_LANGUAGE is my expected default language.

I don't have an issue changing the default language of an existing login. How are you trying to change the default language, through the same drop-down? Is this while you're logged in to the account you are changing?

Andrew

• Andrew P wrote:

Hi deubel_m,

I was also surprised to see this bug. This has been confirmed by Microsoft and a fix is on the way (no ETA has been stated). Note that logins aren't actually being set to Arabic unless I make a selection from the default language drop-down then re-select Arabic. I can see this by right-clicking a SQL login created through the GUI, Script Login AS, CREATE, and you will see the DEFAULT_LANGUAGE is my expected default language.

I don't have an issue changing the default language of an existing login. How are you trying to change the default language, through the same drop-down? Is this while you're logged in to the account you are changing?

Andrew

Thanks for the info Andrew. Actually I didn't want to change the default language but came across this bug and did some investigation. So I found the error in my logs I mentioned and recognised that the default language can't be changed for any login through the GUI.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply