SSMS Freezing when Editing SQL Agent Job Steps

• I've spent several hours trying to overcome an odd technical bug on two SQL Server 2019 servers. I'm installing SQL2019 on WS2016 with SSMS18.4. Following a tried and tested routine (on previous versions of SQL Server),  I've installed Ola Hallengren's MaintenanceSolution.sql and scheduled the SQL backup jobs which work fine.  Problem is that when I try to edit SQL Agent Job Steps in SSMS, it takes 5 minutes to load the steps. Google has nothing helpful on this one. I thought it might be struggling to resolve $SQLLOGDIR path and $Date Tokens in the log output path field. To test this I created another job that does not contain Tokens in the output path. This also went quiet for about 5 minutes when I tried to edit the output path in SSMS. I thought this might be fixed by patching with SQL2019 CU1 but that made no difference. I'm under pressure to deliver a server quickly so this is something I could do without. Has anybody come across this before?

• I don't think it's SQL Server 2019. I think it's SSMS. The latest release seems to be obscenely slow. It can take 2-3 minutes to launch on my laptop. I've seen others expressing similar issues.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for the response Grant. I've done some further exploratory testing and it appears that SSMS 18.4 on SQL2019 goes "absent" when I just edit the field in SSMS. It's not just the resolution of Tokens that causes the hang, just typing "c" into the "Output file" field in the Job Step Properties window causes SSMS to go absent for a few minutes.

Removing this line from the job using a drop-and-create script allowed editing of the step without it going "Not Responding":-

@output_file_name=N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(SQLLOGDIR))\$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(JOBNAME))_$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(STEPID))_$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(DATE))_$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(TIME)).txt',

It is not the tokens that are causing the problem, it hangs when I type anything into the field.

There is something wrong with SSMS console here that needs fixing. I can get around it by clearing the Agent Job Step Properties "Output file" field but this is not ideal as having that functionality is very desirable. This is making life difficult for SQL Server Admins, we really need to be able to just edit job steps without the console hanging.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  eclmam.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Probably ought to report that to Microsoft. They've got an aggressive releases so they could get a fix in.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Thanks Grant, I've posted query on https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/39063124-ssms-18-4-job-properties-window-hangs-when-try

Would you say this the best channel to report the bug to Microsoft?

Cheers,

Mark

• Probably. This isn't azure, but Microsoft pays a lot of attention to anything azure, so, it'll work.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply