SSMS for 2016 missing maintenance task tools

• We have a clean install of Win Server 2016 Datacenter with an install of SQL Server 2016 (64 bit). It also has SSMS 2008 and SQL 2008, temporarily.

SSMS 17.0 (and also tried 17.1) is missing all the maintenance task tools in the Toolbox.  I used Tools > Choose Toolbox Items to try and add them, but get an error message "The following controls were successfully added to the Toolbox but are not enabled in the active designer". Below the list of tools, it says "Make sure the controls to add are compatible with the current designer and .NET framework version".  There were no warnings during SSMS install about anything missing.  Designer? What's it talking about?

I can find nothing on the page where you download SSMS that states any other software requirements or even the .NET version required, so how are we supposed to check .NET compatibility? Google searches for the error seem to mostly refer to SSIS or Visual Studio.  So what are we missing?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

• rmontgom - Monday, June 12, 2017 8:54 AM

We have a clean install of Win Server 2016 Datacenter with an install of SQL Server 2016 (64 bit). It also has SSMS 2008 and SQL 2008, temporarily.

SSMS 17.0 (and also tried 17.1) is missing all the maintenance task tools in the Toolbox.  I used Tools > Choose Toolbox Items to try and add them, but get an error message "The following controls were successfully added to the Toolbox but are not enabled in the active designer". Below the list of tools, it says "Make sure the controls to add are compatible with the current designer and .NET framework version".  There were no warnings during SSMS install about anything missing.  Designer? What's it talking about?

I can find nothing on the page where you download SSMS that states any other software requirements or even the .NET version required, so how are we supposed to check .NET compatibility? Google searches for the error seem to mostly refer to SSIS or Visual Studio.  So what are we missing?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

Does anything happen if you click on the Reset button under Tools/Choose Toolbox Items?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Are you connected to an Express instance?  Express editions of SQL Server don't have maintenance plans, so therefore no maintenance plans folder, and would not be able to load a designer.

• No, just the warning about removing custom tools (we don't have any); after clicking, get same empty toolbox.

• ryanbesko - Monday, June 12, 2017 9:03 AM

Are you connected to an Express instance?  Express editions of SQL Server don't have maintenance plans, so therefore no maintenance plans folder, and would not be able to load a designer.

No, this is SQL Standard.

• ryanbesko - Monday, June 12, 2017 9:03 AM

Are you connected to an Express instance?  Express editions of SQL Server don't have maintenance plans, so therefore no maintenance plans folder, and would not be able to load a designer.

No, just the warning about removing custom tools (we don't have any); after clicking, get same empty toolbox.

• Phil Parkin - Monday, June 12, 2017 9:01 AM

rmontgom - Monday, June 12, 2017 8:54 AM

We have a clean install of Win Server 2016 Datacenter with an install of SQL Server 2016 (64 bit). It also has SSMS 2008 and SQL 2008, temporarily.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

Does anything happen if you click on the Reset button under Tools/Choose Toolbox Items?

No, just the warning about removing custom tools (we don't have any); after clicking, get same empty toolbox.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply