SSMS: First connection to DBMS takes over 15 minutes

• Hi farside41 / Hi all

I don't know if the issue here is still relevant for anyone.

However, we had the exact same issue as described by farside41 on a lot of clients in our corporate network. Besides SSMS, there were also other applications affected making direct SQL connects.

We have troubleshooted the issue with Microsoft Premier Support.

In the end, the issue was triggered by an upgrade of the VMware Horizon View client, as described here: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2105977

Be careful with the KB.

The reg key is the root cause but the example from VMware did not work in our environment. We had to analyze it in more detail and export it from a non-affected client.

Regards,

Mike

• Did you ever find a solution because I am having the same problem. A 15 minute delay on first connection (from my workstation only).

To make the mystery a little better let me add the following:

When I open SSMS and connect to a database on a corporate LAN it takes 15 minutes for the first connection. Additional connections with SSMS take less than 1 second. After connecting, queries execute quickly. I have tried connecting to several servers that are running SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 and SQL 2016 and get the same delay on each. I have use my windows account and SQL logins. I am doing maintenance work on a Winforms application and experience the same delay while running the application in Visual Studio. When I debug and step through the code the delay happens when I hit the Using statement, not the connection.open() that comes after and on the first time data is requested from the database only. Additional requests happen quickly.

Using cn As New SqlClient.SqlConnection(SQL_CONN_STRING), cmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand(strSQL)

cn.Open()

The application is deployed out to a network share and users run it from a shortcut on their desktop. It still works for all the users but not for me when I hit the shortcut from my desktop. If I remote to a server (using my own windows login) then hit the shortcut it works without delay. The application is using integrated security. The connection string follows:

packet size=4096;Integrated Security=SSPI;data source=SVR08\Production; persist security info=False;initial catalog=DBName

This application ran fine until last Wednesday. One change I made that day was to install VMware Horizon. Another change was to add a WebEx client. I have since removed both, that did not help. I like a good mystery but this one has me stumped. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• Did you try the idea from the KB article above which states to:

"Copy the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel registry key from a working system to the affected system."

Removing VMware horizon client is probably not the solution, as that probably does not affect the key above.

• Yes, the VMWare regedit worked. Thank you!

• mike 9088 - Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:27 AM

Hi farside41 / Hi allI don't know if the issue here is still relevant for anyone.However, we had the exact same issue as described by farside41 on a lot of clients in our corporate network. Besides SSMS, there were also other applications affected making direct SQL connects.We have troubleshooted the issue with Microsoft Premier Support.In the end, the issue was triggered by an upgrade of the VMware Horizon View client, as described here: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2105977Be careful with the KB.The reg key is the root cause but the example from VMware did not work in our environment. We had to analyze it in more detail and export it from a non-affected client.Regards,Mike

I was having the same problem.  This may occur on a machine that has OR had VMWare Horizon View Client.
    In
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Kernel\ObUnsecureGlobalNames
    add

netfxcustomperfcounters.1.0

to whatever else is in the data window.
    Reboot
    and everything works fine.

good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply